Problems Understanding Division of Fractions

In summary, the formula for division of fractions is a/b = a x 1/b. When applying this formula to an actual problem, it is important to remember that the "1/b" term only operates to take the reciprocal of b once. This means that in the problem 3/4 divided by 6/11, the correct solution is obtained by multiplying 3/4 by the reciprocal of 6/11, which is 11/6. Simply flipping 6/11 and using its reciprocal will not give the correct answer.
bballwaterboy
This is frustrating me.

The formula for division of fractions in my Pre-Calculus book is a/b = a x 1/b.

However, when you apply this to an actual problem, it doesn't make sense. For example:

3/4 divided by (sorry, I don't see a divisor sign in the list of symbols we can choose from) 6/11

This becomes 3/4 x 11/6. So you just flip the 6/11 and use its reciprocal to multiply by. I remember this from high school. However, when thinking about the formula (above), shouldn't it be:

3/4 x 1/11/6 (1 in the numerator and 11/6 in the denominator)? THAT would fit the formula and not merely the reciprocal. "b" is a fraction (6/11). The formula says to place b under a 1 and that's what I did. So I'm confused now. Anyone understand what I'm missing? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(1 in the numerator and 11/6 in the denominator)? THAT would fit the formula and not merely the reciprocal.

Reciprocal of a = 1/a.

As an example:
$$ \frac{1}{(\frac{7}{2})} = \frac{2}{7} $$

Try it in your calculator. The reciprocal of ##x## is defined as ##\frac{1}{x}##. Let me reiterate: The action of flipping a fraction over is expressed mathematically as dividing 1 by that fraction.

As you continue on you'll realize more 'computational heuristics' like this are formally expressed a different way in algebra.

Last edited:
bballwaterboy said:
So you just flip the 6/11 and use its reciprocal to multiply by. .

Flipping the 6/11 and "using it's reciprocal" are the same operation. So you are doing the same reciprocal operation twice. It's going to get you back to the same place. If you "flip the 6/11 and use it's reciprocal to multiply by...", you aren't doing anything at all but multiplying by the original 6/11. Maybe that's where you're going wrong.

In the formula a/b = a x 1/b, the "1/b" term operates to take the reciprocal of b, once, that's it. So if b = 6/11, then 1/b = 11/6. Therefore, (3/4) / (6/11) = (3/4) x (11/6).

Related to Problems Understanding Division of Fractions

1. What is division of fractions?

Division of fractions is a mathematical operation that involves dividing one fraction by another. It is the process of finding out how many times one fraction is contained within another fraction.

2. Why is division of fractions difficult to understand?

Division of fractions can be difficult to understand because it involves multiple steps and rules, such as finding the reciprocal of the second fraction and simplifying the resulting fraction. It also requires a good understanding of fractions and their properties.

3. How do you divide fractions?

To divide fractions, you need to follow the following steps:1. Find the reciprocal of the second fraction by flipping it upside down.2. Multiply the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second fraction.3. Simplify the resulting fraction if possible by cancelling out common factors.

4. What are some common mistakes when dividing fractions?

Some common mistakes when dividing fractions include:- Forgetting to find the reciprocal of the second fraction.- Forgetting to simplify the resulting fraction.- Switching the numerator and denominator of the second fraction when finding the reciprocal.- Forgetting to convert mixed numbers to improper fractions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of division of fractions?

To improve your understanding of division of fractions, you can practice solving various problems, use visual aids such as models or diagrams, and review the rules and steps for dividing fractions. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or assistance from a teacher or tutor.