Producing Dry Saturated Steam in a Fire Tube Boiler

MaisieMitchell
New poster is reminded to always show their work when starting schoolwork threads
Homework Statement
Dry saturated steam at a temperature of 180ºC is to be produced in a
fire tube boiler from the cooling of 50 000 kg h–1 of flue gases from a
pressurised combustion process. The gases enter the tubes of the
boiler at 1600ºC and leave at 200ºC. The feed water is externally
preheated to 180ºC before entering the boiler.
The mean specific heat capacity of the flue gases is 1.15 kJ kg–1 K–1.
The latent heat of vaporisation of the water at 180ºC is 2015 kJ kg–1.
Feed water temperature = 180ºC.
The tubes within the boiler are to be 25 mm inside diameter with a
wall thickness of 3 mm. The average flue gas velocity through the
tubes to maintain the overall heat transfer coefficient value and to
minimise pressure losses is to be more than 22 m s–1 and less than
28 m s–1.
Assuming that the average density of the flue gases is 1.108 kg m–3,
calculate:
(i) the minimum and maximum number of tubes in each pass
(ii) the overall length of tubes at each of these numbers of tubes
(iii) the minimum number of tube passes in each case, if the length
of a boiler tube is to be less than 5 metres.
Relevant Equations
mg = n (Π/4 χ d^2 x v) x ρ (ρ is density)
Stuck with i & ii can somebody please guide me. none of my coursework material has anything similar in to help me work this one out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
MaisieMitchell said:
Stuck with

where in your attempt at solution that you need to post before we are allowed to provide assistance (according to the PF guidelines) ?

A picture of the flowchart with some annotations might also be helpful !

##\ ##

Likes MaisieMitchell
Based on the average density of the flue gas, the ID of the tubes, and the maximum and minimum average gas velocities, what is the maximum mass flow rate per tube and what is the minimum mass for rate per tube

Have you calculated the heat load? If so, what is it?

Last edited:
Likes MaisieMitchell
MaisieMitchell said:
none of my coursework material has anything similar
What course is that ? database design ? or some branch of engineering where heat exchanger design fits in ?

Does your institution have a library ? Or can you access google heat exchanger design ?:welcome:
:smile:
##\ ##

Likes MaisieMitchell
Thanks all. Following on from plenty of googling about it I now understand the question. Appreciate all the help and guidance.

Likes Tom.G and BvU
Ok, best wishes !

:smile:

##\ #

What is a fire tube boiler?

A fire tube boiler is a type of boiler that uses hot gases produced by a fire to heat water and generate steam. It consists of a cylindrical shell filled with water and surrounded by tubes that allow the hot gases to pass through and transfer heat to the water.

How does a fire tube boiler produce dry saturated steam?

In a fire tube boiler, the hot gases from the fire pass through the tubes and transfer heat to the water surrounding them. As the water is heated, it turns into steam and rises to the top of the boiler. The steam produced is dry saturated steam, meaning it contains no water droplets and is at its maximum temperature and pressure for a given boiler.

What are the advantages of producing dry saturated steam in a fire tube boiler?

Producing dry saturated steam in a fire tube boiler has several advantages. It is more efficient, as the dry steam contains more heat energy than wet steam. It also reduces the risk of corrosion and damage to the boiler, as wet steam can cause erosion and wear on the internal components. Additionally, dry saturated steam is easier to control and ensures consistent and reliable operation of the boiler.

What factors affect the production of dry saturated steam in a fire tube boiler?

The production of dry saturated steam in a fire tube boiler can be affected by several factors. These include the design and size of the boiler, the fuel used, the combustion process, and the water quality. Proper maintenance and regular inspections also play a crucial role in ensuring the production of dry saturated steam.

How can the production of dry saturated steam be optimized in a fire tube boiler?

To optimize the production of dry saturated steam in a fire tube boiler, it is important to ensure proper boiler design, efficient combustion, and regular maintenance. It is also essential to monitor and control the water quality and steam pressure to prevent any fluctuations that may affect the production of dry saturated steam. Additionally, using high-quality fuel and operating the boiler at its recommended capacity can also help optimize steam production.