Product of Representations of Lorentz Group

Therefore, the direct product of two representations of the Lorentz group is equal to the product of the individual representations. In summary, the direct product of two representations of the Lorentz group is equal to the product of the individual representations, and this can be proven using the definition of the direct product of matrices.
filip97
How to prove that direct product of two rep of Lorentz group ##(m,n)⊗(a,b)=(m⊗a,n⊗b)## ?

Let ##J\in {{J_1,J_2,J_3}}##
Then we have :
##[(m,n)⊗(a,b)](J)=(m,n)(J)I_{(a,b)}+I_{(m,n)}⊗(a,b)(J)=##
##=I_m⊗J_n⊗I_a⊗I_b+J_m⊗I_n⊗I_a⊗I_b+I_m⊗I_n⊗J_a⊗I_b+I_m⊗I_n⊗I_a⊗J_b##
and
##(m⊗a,n⊗b)(J)=I_{(m⊗a)}⊗J_{(n⊗b)}+J_{(m⊗a)}⊗I_{(n⊗b)}=##
##=I_m⊗I_a⊗(I_n⊗J_b+J_n⊗I_b)+(I_m⊗J_a+J_m⊗I_a)I_n⊗I_b=##
##=I_m⊗I_a⊗I_n⊗J_b+I_m⊗I_a⊗J_n⊗I_b+J_m⊗I_a⊗I_n⊗I_b+I_m⊗J_a⊗I_n⊗I_b##, and we have that

##[(m,n)⊗(a,b)](J)\neq [(m,n)⊗(a,b)](J)##

Where ##I_a## is unit matrix ##(2a+1) (2a+1)##, matrix, identical is for ##J_b##

How this is work ?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can prove that the direct product of two representations of the Lorentz group is equal to the product of the individual representations by using the fact that the direct product of two matrices is equal to the product of the individual matrices. Therefore, if we have two representations of the Lorentz group, say ##(m,n)## and ##(a,b)##, then the direct product of the two is equal to ##(m⊗a,n⊗b)##. To prove this, we can use the definition of the direct product of two matrices, which states that given two matrices ##A_{m*n}## and ##B_{p*q}##, the direct product of the two is given by the matrix ##C_{(m*p)*(n*q)}##, where each entry of the matrix is given by the product of the corresponding entries of ##A## and ##B##. Thus, for our two representations of the Lorentz group, we have ##(m,n)⊗(a,b)=(m⊗a,n⊗b)## This follows directly from the definition of the direct product of matrices.

1. What is the Lorentz Group?

The Lorentz Group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of special relativity, which is a theory of space and time proposed by Albert Einstein. It includes rotations in space and boosts (changes in velocity) in a particular direction.

2. What is a product of representations?

A product of representations is a mathematical operation that combines two or more representations of a group to create a new representation. In the context of the Lorentz Group, this means combining two or more representations that describe different symmetries of special relativity to create a new representation that describes a more complex symmetry.

3. How is the product of representations of the Lorentz Group used?

The product of representations of the Lorentz Group is used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of particles and fields under the symmetries of special relativity. It is also used in practical applications, such as in the design of particle accelerators and in the study of high-energy physics.

4. What are some examples of products of representations of the Lorentz Group?

One example of a product of representations of the Lorentz Group is the product of a rotation representation and a boost representation, which describes a rotation and a change in velocity at the same time. Another example is the product of two boost representations, which describes a boost in one direction followed by a boost in another direction.

5. How does the product of representations of the Lorentz Group relate to other mathematical concepts?

The product of representations of the Lorentz Group is related to other mathematical concepts such as group theory and representation theory. It also has connections to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and gauge theories. Understanding the product of representations is crucial for understanding the symmetries of special relativity and their applications in physics.