Products of Concentrated Barium Chloride Electrolysis?

In summary, during an electrolysis experiment with 1.6M Barium Chloride solution and graphite electrodes, the electrolyte turned black and had a smell of Chlorine at the anode. It is possible that the graphite electrodes exfoliated under moderate to high voltages, resulting in a suspension of graphite in the water. This may have been influenced by the presence of barium in the electrolyte. Further experimentation is needed to confirm this.
Miles123K
TL;DR Summary
Are there any products from the electrolysis that would have turned the electrolyte black?
I did an electrolysis experiment with 1.6M Barium Chloride solution and the electrolyte turned black after the electrolysis. I am fairly positive that Chlorine was produced at the anode from the smell. However, Ba(OH)2 is colorless. I used graphite electrodes for this experiment. Does anyone have any idea about what could have happened along the way?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Graphite can exfoliate under moderate to high voltages. You probably have a suspension of graphite in water.

TeethWhitener said:
Graphite can exfoliate under moderate to high voltages. You probably have a suspension of graphite in water.
That makes a lot of sense! However, I also did the same procedure with other electrolytes. Also Chlorides. And those electrolytes didn't show the same thing. Does the presence of barium make the exfoliation easier or something? Thanks for your answer!

I dunno, maybe. One simple test would be to use electrodes not made of graphite to see if you still get a black product with the barium electrolyte.

it also wouldn’t hurt to take a look at the graphite electrodes after the reaction: are they expanded? Degraded looking?

Likes Miles123K
TeethWhitener said:
I dunno, maybe. One simple test would be to use electrodes not made of graphite to see if you still get a black product with the barium electrolyte.

it also wouldn’t hurt to take a look at the graphite electrodes after the reaction: are they expanded? Degraded looking?
Right. The electrodes didn't look any different but I will attempt another trial to check if it's actually graphite exfoliation.

1. What is the purpose of concentrated barium chloride electrolysis?

The purpose of concentrated barium chloride electrolysis is to produce pure barium metal, which is used in various industrial applications such as the production of alloys, paints, and ceramics.

2. How does concentrated barium chloride electrolysis work?

In this process, an electric current is passed through a molten mixture of barium chloride and calcium chloride. The electric current causes the barium ions to gain electrons and form pure barium metal at the cathode, while chlorine gas is produced at the anode.

3. What are the main products of concentrated barium chloride electrolysis?

The main products of concentrated barium chloride electrolysis are pure barium metal and chlorine gas. The barium metal is collected at the cathode and the chlorine gas is collected at the anode.

4. What are the advantages of using concentrated barium chloride electrolysis?

One advantage of using concentrated barium chloride electrolysis is that it is a relatively simple and efficient process for producing pure barium metal. It also allows for the production of large quantities of barium metal at a low cost.

5. What are the potential hazards associated with concentrated barium chloride electrolysis?

The main potential hazard of concentrated barium chloride electrolysis is the production of chlorine gas, which is toxic and corrosive. Proper safety measures, such as proper ventilation and protective gear, should be taken to prevent exposure to the gas.