Program to search for curves which fit experimental data

In summary, the speakers were discussing a program that can search for equations that best fit a compilation of data. They mentioned that there are many software and programming languages that have this feature, such as Excel, gnuplot, idl, and Mathematica. However, the speaker was not sure if they support this feature and mentioned a program called Eureqa which they believe can do the task.
Dunhausen
Does anyone remember a program (or know of something similar!) which, given a compilation of data, would search for equations which best fit the data?

The one I'm thinking of came out ~ a year ago. It was a Windows-only program but it worked fine under wine.

Unfortunately my time spent on google is not proving fruitful. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much all math/database software will be able to do that, and all math-oriented programming languages, etc.

Excel will do it, also: gnuplot, idl, matlab, mathematica, 'grapher' on macs, etc.

Hmm... I don't think from the ones of those I know how to use that they support such a feature (if so I'll be pretty miffed I never knew about it!). Fitting curves, yes, but you have to state explicitly the equation you are trying to fit.

In any case, I believe I have found what I was looking for
http://ccsl.mae.cornell.edu/eureqa

Related to Program to search for curves which fit experimental data

1. What is a "curve" in relation to experimental data?

A curve in relation to experimental data is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between two or more variables. It is a visual representation of the data points and can be used to make predictions or analyze patterns in the data.

2. How does the program search for curves?

The program uses mathematical algorithms to analyze the data and find the best curve that fits the data points. This process involves testing multiple curve models and adjusting parameters until the best fit is achieved.

3. Can the program search for any type of curve?

Yes, the program can search for a variety of curve models such as linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and more. It can also search for custom user-defined curves.

4. Is this program suitable for all types of experimental data?

The program is suitable for most types of experimental data as long as the data is numerical and there is a relationship between the variables. However, some datasets may require more advanced curve fitting techniques.

5. Can the program determine the accuracy of the curve fit?

Yes, the program can provide an indication of the accuracy of the curve fit by calculating the coefficient of determination (R-squared value). A high R-squared value indicates a good fit, while a low value indicates a poor fit.