Programable telescope that will point to any spot on Earth?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of a programmable telescope that could point to any spot on Earth by inputting the latitude and longitude coordinates. The purpose of this would be for conducting experiments and searching for hidden nuclear reactors or other sources of particles that can pass through the Earth. The participants also discussed the limitations of ground-based telescopes and the use of satellite telescopes for military purposes. The conversation also touched on the need for a device that could pinpoint the exact line of trajectory for known sites in order to save time and labor in experiments.
David Berger
Is there a programmable telescope that will point to any spot on Earth from my location that I could simply plug in the latitude and longitude and it would point at the location anywhere on Earth.

For instance, if I wanted it to point at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider), could I just plug in the coordinates and it would instantly spin to the correct direction and point exactly at it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
David Berger said:
Is there a programmable telescope that will point to any spot on Earth from my location that I could simply plug in the latitude and longitude and it would point at the location anywhere on Earth.

For instance, if I wanted it to point at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider), could I just plug in the coordinates and it would instantly spin to the correct direction and point exactly at it?
What would be the point? You would just be pointing at the ground (Unless you were quite close to the LHC)

Likes David Berger
The point would be, that I would like to run a bunch of experiments. In order to test my experiments I will need to have something that will point precisely at different coordinates around the Earth, so I will know exactly where to point my other equipment. Maybe I will discover something exciting, and maybe the experiments will be a total flop. But whatever the outcome I'm willing to pay to play. I'm sure that my experiments will be a complete success though.

Thanks for your interest phinds. I have a neighbor about a block from me that has two of the big lovely dogs that you have as your avatar. I always kid the neighbors and tell them that a couple of polar bears must have escaped from the zoo, because their dogs are so big and beautiful.

David Berger said:
The point would be, that I would like to run a bunch of experiments. In order to test my experiments I will need to have something that will point precisely at different coordinates around the Earth, so I will know exactly where to point my other equipment. Maybe I will discover something exciting, and maybe the experiments will be a total flop. But whatever the outcome I'm willing to pay to play. I'm sure that my experiments will be a complete success though.
I still agree with @phinds ... even with your added info, I don't see the point of what you are trying to accomplish and it doesn't really make any sense

if you have a ground based scope, you are limited to line of sight distance and you CANNOT view from above unless you are on a high mountain, and even then it's going to be a very oblique view

You CANNOT point to any spot on earth, because for the most part the Earth is blocking your field of view

Telescopes generally point at the sky for astronomy purposes
The various militaries of the world have telescopes/large lens cameras, on satellites, pointing at the Earth for spying on other nations

the best us avg people can do us use google Earth and rely on its variable resolution and aged imagesDave

Dave you are correct in all of your knowledge statements.

I'd like to use google Earth to pinpoint other sites, but I don't know of any computer program where I could load in my equipment's location and get an exact straight line trajectory to the sites I'm interested in experimenting with. But... if I could use a telescope tripod with a computer alignment system on it to point exactly at any site on Earth, it would make things a whole lot easier in my experiments. I don't need the telescope, I could insert a stick as a pointer, all I need is the exact direction in order to run my tests.

So far, all of my recent tests have all worked out better than I could even imagine, but in some of my older tests there was interference. In the new tests that I want to run, I know I'm going to run into that same interference, but how much information can I gain before I get to that interference. If I can isolate the interference, I'm sure that I will learn something spectacular. But... in order to get to finding out that something extra spectacular, I will need to have something that can give me the trajectories that I need to point my equipment at in order to eliminate those targets from the end product. Those trajectories will have to be straight and the equipment will be aimed straight through the Earth in order to gain any and all possible data from targets anywhere on the Earths surface, no matter where they may be. Thanks Dave for your interest.

I take it you are not going to tell us what your "experiment" IS

I want to search for hidden nuclear reactors in the future, and any other source of neutrinos or any other similar type of particle that can pass through the Earth. First I'll need the device that I've asked for in this article, then I'll feed it the locations of known nuclear reactors, I'll make sure of the trajectories to those locations with my equipment, and mark those known locations and then search for the hidden ones. Since Colliders run similar tests using neutrinos, I'll have to mark them also. But, it would be extremely helpful if I could find a unit that could pinpoint the exact line of trajectory to each of the known sites at the surface of the Earth, anywhere on Earth, so I could move my equipment around and make sure of the exact trajectory to those locations in the minimum amount of time, using the least amount of labor. Its very tedious and laborious moving the equipment around waiting for it to detect such particles for each and every search. Without such an instrument to save time and labor I will loose interest and the whole idea and my equipment will be of no use to me any more, and I'll have to move onto other experiments.

I love that breed of dog in your avatar. Years ago when traveling down a certain country road, one of those great Pyrenees dogs used to lay by the bridge on the other side of the fence in a lush green pasture just waiting for someone to come driving along. Then as soon as you got close, all 150+ pounds of him would jump up and start running for his home about 1/3 of a mile away. I'd slow down the truck and let him beat me back to his home sometimes. He never barked, he was very playful, and he was very big. He lived at a dairy farm, where he and another Pyrenees female dog would watch over the herd of about 400 milk cows to make sure no coyotes disturbed the cows..

David Berger said:
I want to search for hidden nuclear reactors in the future, and any other source of neutrinos or any other similar type of particle that can pass through the Earth. First I'll need the device that I've asked for in this article, then I'll feed it the locations of known nuclear reactors, I'll make sure of the trajectories to those locations with my equipment, and mark those known locations and then search for the hidden ones. Since Colliders run similar tests using neutrinos, I'll have to mark them also. But, it would be extremely helpful if I could find a unit that could pinpoint the exact line of trajectory to each of the known sites at the surface of the Earth, anywhere on Earth, so I could move my equipment around and make sure of the exact trajectory to those locations in the minimum amount of time, using the least amount of labor. Its very tedious and laborious moving the equipment around waiting for it to detect such particles for each and every search. Without such an instrument to save time and labor I will loose interest and the whole idea and my equipment will be of no use to me any more, and I'll have to move onto other experiments.
There is a major problem with your idea that I suspect you have overlooked.
Do you know why existing neutrino detectors are VERY HUGE and are buried very deep in the Earth and cost mega millions to build ?Dave

Likes David Berger
David Berger said:
I want to search for hidden nuclear reactors in the future, and any other source of neutrinos or any other similar type of particle that can pass through the Earth.
That's hilarious :smile: Thanks for the chuckle.

Likes David Berger
Thanks Dave, I've heard of that concept or belief, and I also know that concept is being used by others... My concept is different. My theories in the past have worked out, and I'm very sure this concept that I hope to get rolling will make things a whole lot easier and much less time consuming.

I started off with that same belief, and then I was overwhelmed by a different concept.

Years ago I drove to the area of my nearest nuclear reactor of which I could see visually from a few safe miles away, and started pointing different detection devices straight at it, and running them through everything they had. There was a slight detection from one of the units, but in the end it was not detecting what I had hoped it was detecting. Nothing would detect the nuclear power plant.

As you may well know, the new smaller neutrino detectors are actually the size of a fire extinguisher. You can see them on the Internet if you type in "fire extinguisher neutrino detector".

Then recently while studying the Sun I realized that there were glitches, and here I am today looking for a telescope device to point out the other locations of known nuclear power plants. Unfortunately, distance may be an overwhelming enemy.

Thread closed for Modereation...

@David Berger -- Thread will remain closed for several reasons. Please do not post about this "project" of yours again on the PF.
  • We do not support speculation and personal science research projects here
  • We especially do not support discussions about pseudoscience or non-mainstream "research"
Here is some paraphrasing from the mentor discussion about this thread of yours:
Neutrino detectors to monitor nuclear reactors are an active field of research. You need something vehicle-sized directly next to the reactor building or something big (~kilotons) at the border if the country doesn’t cooperate.

I have no idea what OP wants to do but he certainly doesn’t have anything that could detect neutrinos from reactors. And the pointing thing is just not reasonable. If the detector would be able to measure neutrinos and their directions you could directly get these locations from the detector.

Likes davenn

1. How does a programable telescope work?

A programable telescope works by using a computer and software to control the movements of the telescope. The telescope is equipped with motors and sensors that allow it to point to specific coordinates on Earth.

2. What are the benefits of a programable telescope?

A programable telescope allows for more precise and efficient observations of different objects in the sky. It also eliminates the need for manual adjustments and can be operated remotely.

3. Can a programable telescope be used for both terrestrial and astronomical observations?

Yes, a programable telescope can be used for both terrestrial and astronomical observations. With the ability to point to any spot on Earth, it can be used for a variety of purposes such as monitoring weather patterns, tracking satellites, and studying celestial objects.

4. How accurate is a programable telescope?

The accuracy of a programable telescope depends on the quality of the motors and sensors, as well as the precision of the software used. However, most programable telescopes have a high level of accuracy and can pinpoint specific locations with great precision.

5. Can anyone operate a programable telescope?

While anyone can learn to operate a programable telescope, it does require some knowledge and experience in astronomy and computer programming. It is often used by professional astronomers, but amateur astronomers can also use it with the proper training and guidance.