Programming to learn kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of learning kinematics and the desire to work on more challenging tasks to improve understanding. The individual is looking for resources to learn how to animate robot arms and other rigid bodies using Python and/or Javascript, since they do not have access to Matlab but have access to a free clone called Octave. However, there are some differences in functionality between the two programs.
Avatrin
Hi

I am learning kinematics. Topics include inertia tensors, cosine matrices, quaternions, Euler angles etc... To learn these topics well, I want to try working on something a bit more difficult than just the underlying math. That will probably keep me more motivated.

So, I am looking for resources that can teach me how to animate robot arms and other rigid bodies to play around with the concepts I need to learn. I don't have access to Matlab. So, I want to use Python and/or Javascript since I am already quite familiar with these languages and have used them in other contexts. Are there any websites or books you guys can recommend?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
I don't have access to Matlab.

But you do have access to Octave, a free Matlab clone. The help files are not as good as the Matlab help files, while everything else seems similar. Although, I was not able to get Octave to read a time/date stamp from a text file that I think Matlab would have been able to read.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move through space.

2. How is programming used to learn kinematics?

Programming can be used to simulate and model the motion of objects in kinematics. By using coding languages such as Python or Java, scientists can create virtual experiments and analyze the data to better understand kinematic principles.

3. What are some common programming languages used for kinematics?

Some commonly used programming languages for kinematics include Python, Java, MATLAB, and C++. Each language has its own advantages and can be used to create simulations, analyze data, and visualize results.

4. How can programming help with understanding complex kinematic concepts?

Programming allows for the creation of visualizations and simulations that can help with understanding complex kinematic concepts. By manipulating variables and parameters in a virtual environment, scientists can observe how different factors affect the motion of objects.

5. Are there any resources available for learning programming for kinematics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning programming for kinematics. Some universities and organizations also offer courses or workshops specifically focused on programming for kinematics. It is also helpful to practice coding and experiment with different programs to gain practical experience.