Projected Area of a Cone in Electric Field Calculation

In summary, the projectoed area is found by projecting the unit normal vector onto the xy plane. The magnitude of the flux is found by summing the parallel and perpendicular components of the flux.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=2eadebb7794dc9c5255f3c564d04b8da.png

Homework Equations

Flux = ∫E.ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to get the projection of cone on a plane perpendicular to the electric field . The area thus obtained when multiplied by electric field would give the flux .

I am not able to imagine the projected area .Is there a systematic way to calculate the projected area ?

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • cone.PNG
    cone.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 715
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You can convert the electric field into components parallel and perpendicular to the base of the cone.

Is the flux you're looking for related to the flux through the blue and yellow shaded regions shown below?

[EDIT: Sorry, ignore this post! I didn't visualize it carefully enough. Attached diagram was deleted to avoid being misleading o:).]

Last edited:
Consider a patch of area as shown. Can you express its unit normal vector ##\hat{n}## in terms of the angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## and the ##\hat{i}, \hat{j}, \hat{k}## unit vectors?

Attachments

• Cone vector.png
    Cone vector.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 788
mooncrater said:
Hint: You can convert the electric field into components parallel and perpendicular to the base of the cone.

Very nice ! Thank you .

Likes mooncrater
TSny said:
Consider a patch of area as shown. Can you express its unit normal vector ##\hat{n}## in terms of the angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## and the ##\hat{i}, \hat{j}, \hat{k}## unit vectors?

Sorry . Could you please elaborate a little .

The unit normal vector is parallel to the area vector of the patch. So it can be used to help express the flux through the patch.

I'm not sure I'm interpreting the original question properly. "Find the magnitude of the flux that only enters the cone's curved surface. Do not count the outgoing flux."

I interpret that to mean that for a patch of area on the curved surface where the flux is outward rather than inward, then we do not count that flux. Is this the way you also interpret it?

Yes .

OK, good. If you had an expression for ##\hat{n}##, how could you use it to determine if a patch of area has inward flux or outward flux?

Sign of ##\vec{E} \cdot ds\hat{n}## determines whether flux is positive or negative . ##ds## is the area element of the differential element .

Last edited:
Yes. That's why I think it's a good idea to find vector expressions for ##\vec{E}## and ##\hat{n}##.

But how do I calculate ##\hat{n}## ?

I haven't done something like this before . Does it involve spherical coordinates and double integrals ? Could you give some relevant web link ?

It's similar to working in spherical coordinates. If you projected ##\hat{n}## onto the xy plane, how long would this projected vector be in the xy plane (expressed in terms of ##\theta##)? How can you express the x and y components of this projected vector in terms of ##\theta## and ##\phi##?

1. What is electric flux through a cone?

Electric flux is a measure of the total number of electric field lines passing through a given area. In the case of a cone, it refers to the total number of electric field lines passing through the curved surface of the cone.

2. How is the electric flux through a cone calculated?

The electric flux through a cone can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field passing through the surface with the area of the surface. This can be represented by the formula: Φ = E x A, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, and A is the area of the surface.

3. What factors affect the electric flux through a cone?

The electric flux through a cone can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the electric field, as well as the size and orientation of the cone's surface. Additionally, the presence of other electric charges in the vicinity may also affect the electric flux through the cone.

4. How does the shape of the cone affect the electric flux?

The shape of the cone can affect the electric flux through it, as the curved surface of the cone allows for a larger area for electric field lines to pass through compared to a flat surface. This means that, all other factors being equal, a cone with a larger radius will have a greater electric flux compared to a cone with a smaller radius.

5. Can the electric flux through a cone be negative?

Yes, the electric flux through a cone can be negative. This occurs when the electric field lines are directed in the opposite direction of the surface's normal vector. In this case, the electric flux is calculated as a negative value, indicating that the net flow of electric field lines is outwards from the surface.