Projected motion/trajectory question [EASY]

• Thread starter ujellytek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem involves two rocks, A and B, being dropped from a height of 100m above a river with no air resistance. Rock A is dropped first and after 2 seconds, rock B is thrown down with an unknown initial velocity. The goal is to calculate the initial velocity of rock B so that it hits the river at the same time as rock A. By using kinematic equations, it is determined that the initial velocity of rock B should be approximately 27.38m/s.
ujellytek

Homework Statement

The rock 'A' is dropped 100m above a river. After 2 seconds, rock 'B' is thrown down from the same height. What initial velocity must be given to rock 'B' so that both rocks hit the river at the exact same time? [No air resistance]

Homework Equations

What is the answer?

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/a/59fkU[/B]

Rock A: v1=0 During a 2s drop it travels 19.6m, -4.9(2)^2+100
So the equation for rock A is d=-4.9(t)^2+80.4
When will rock A hit the river? isolate t and I get ~4.0507 seconds

Rock B: v1=? equation is easy to set up: d=-4.9(t)^2+v1(t)+100 (starts 19.6m behind the dropped rock)
Now we sub in the time rock A hits the river: (4.9(4.0507)^2-100) * (4.0507)^-1=v1
This gives me an answer of ~-4.849m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's relevant equations, not relevant questions. What common kinematic equations might apply to this problem?

Your attempt at solution image is barely readable if at all. Please type in your attempt.

gneill said:
That's relevant equations, not relevant questions. What common kinematic equations might apply to this problem?

Your attempt at solution image is barely readable if at all. Please type in your attempt.
Done

ujellytek said:
Rock A: v1=0 During a 2s drop it travels 19.6m, -4.9(2)^2+100
So the equation for rock A is d=-4.9(t)^2+80.4
When will rock A hit the river? isolate t and I get ~4.0507 seconds
I think you forgot the velocity that rock A had attained by the time it reached the 2 second mark when you wrote its equation. I think you'll find that the time remaining for rock A to hit the water from the 2 second point is much less than 4 seconds.

gneill said:
I think you forgot the velocity that rock A had attained by the time it reached the 2 second mark when you wrote its equation. I think you'll find that the time remaining for rock A to hit the water from the 2 second point is much less than 4 seconds.
You're right, thanks. The velocity then turns out to be ~27.38m/s instead of 4.849m/s

That certainly looks better! :smile:

1. What is projected motion/trajectory?

Projected motion/trajectory refers to the path that an object takes as it moves through space. It takes into account both the initial velocity and the forces acting upon the object, such as gravity and air resistance.

2. How is projected motion/trajectory calculated?

Projected motion/trajectory is calculated using mathematical equations, specifically those related to kinematics. These equations take into account factors such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time to determine the path of the object.

3. What are the different types of projected motion/trajectory?

There are two main types of projected motion/trajectory: linear motion and projectile motion. Linear motion occurs when an object moves in a straight line, while projectile motion involves a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projected object?

The trajectory of a projected object is affected by several factors, including initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the presence of external forces such as gravity. These factors can alter the path and distance traveled by the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of projected motion/trajectory?

Projected motion/trajectory has many practical applications, such as predicting the path of a ball in sports like baseball or tennis, calculating the trajectory of a rocket or missile, and understanding the movement of objects in space. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the motion of objects in various scenarios.