Projectile and Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, the object travels completely around the Moon and returns to its original position in 6485.10 seconds.
Dietrichw

Homework Statement

An object is launched horizontally from the highest peak on the Moon's surface. Calculate (a) the launch speed required so that the object travels completely around the Moon and returns to its original position, and (b) the time required to return to the launch point. Assume the free-fall acceleration at the launch point is 1/6 of the value at the surface of the Earth and that the radius of the object's circular path is 1.74 x 10^6 meters. BEGIN your solution by noting that this object simultaneously executes TWO types of motion, both of which you have studied. What are they?

Homework Equations

[tex] R = \frac{V_0} {g} sin(2 \theta ) [/tex]
[tex] \vec a_r = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried solving it as a symmetric projectile motion problem which happened to be a circle which is the circumference of the moon but that ended when I realized the problem specified the launch angle to be horizontal or 0. That ruined the equation I used because Sin(0) is zero along with everything that Sin(theta) is multiplied by.

After I gave up on projectile motion I thought about trying to think of it as uniform circular motion but it is not uniform as there is gravity pulling the object down? As I am writing this I think I might be able to think of the gravity as the radial acceleration and solve based off that if the gravity does not pull the object down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dietrichw said:
As I am writing this I think I might be able to think of the gravity as the radial acceleration and solve based off that...
Sounds like a promising approach, let us know how it goes.
Dietrichw said:
...if the gravity does not pull the object down.
By this you mean if it does not lose altitude, right? If you throw it too slow, it will lose altitude. If you throw it to fast, it will gain altitude. If you throw it at just the right speed, it will stay at the same altitude (i.e. it will move in a circle about the moon).

It seems to have worked. Hopefully didn't make any mistakes
[tex] \sqrt{r * a_r} = v [/tex]
[tex] v = 1685.82 m/s [/tex] only accurate to 3 SF

[tex] s = 2 \pi r [/tex]
[tex] s/v = \Delta t [/tex]
[tex] \Delta t = 6485.10 [/tex] only accurate to 3 SF

Good job :smile:

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. Examples include a baseball being thrown or a cannonball being fired.

2. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = v2sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. The object experiences a constantly changing direction, but its speed remains the same.

4. How is the centripetal force related to uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

5. Can an object move in both projectile and uniform circular motion at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for an object to move in both projectile and uniform circular motion at the same time. For example, a satellite in orbit around the Earth is constantly in projectile motion due to the Earth's gravitational pull, but also in uniform circular motion as it maintains a constant speed and direction around the Earth.