Projectile Motion- 2D Kinematics

In summary, the problem involves finding the launch velocity of a mortar fired at a 60 degree angle that scores a hit 15 m up a building 30 m away. The equations used are s=vot+1/2at^2 and v=s/t, and the known factors are the distance and angle of the hit. The attempt at a solution involved setting up equations for the x and y values and solving for time, then substituting that value into the x-distance equation to ultimately solve for the launch velocity.
vellum

Homework Statement

A mortar elevated to 60 degrees scores a hit 15 m up a building 30 m away. With what speed was the shell fired?

I know I have to find the launch velocity, or VL. Here is a quick sketch i did:

nx50ts.jpg

Homework Equations

s= vot + 1/2at2

v = s/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by setting up a table of known factors:

2na43s4.jpg

I first set up a distance equation with the x values-

30 = (VL * cos60)t {the second part of the equation presumably cancels out, because acceleration is 0}

Then, I set up the equation using y values-

15 = (VL * sin60)t - 4.9t2

Next I tried solving for time using a different equation using x values:

v = s/t

t = 30/VL * cos60

This being said- do I just plug what I found for t into the x-distance equation? I feel as if I'm not doing the problem correctly because then I would just be squaring the velocity in the x direction and dividing by 30 which leads me back to the original distance. I apologize in advance if the answer is staring at me from right under my nose, I'm not the smartest student. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
15 = (VL * sin60)t - 4.9t^2

Substitute the value of t = 30/(VL*cos60)

15 = VLtan60 - 4.9*30^2/(VLcos60)^2

Now solve for VL.

Related to Projectile Motion- 2D Kinematics

1. What is "Projectile Motion-2D Kinematics"?

Projectile Motion-2D Kinematics is the study of the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also have an impact on the trajectory.

3. How is projectile motion different from linear motion?

Projectile motion involves both horizontal and vertical motion, while linear motion only involves motion in a single direction. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity affects the vertical motion of a projectile, while linear motion has a constant velocity.

4. Can the range of a projectile be affected by the launch angle?

Yes, the range of a projectile is greatly influenced by the launch angle. The optimal launch angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it allows for equal vertical and horizontal displacements.

5. What is the equation for calculating the height of a projectile at a given time?

The equation for calculating the height of a projectile at a given time is h = h0 + v0y * t - 1/2 * g * t^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.