Projectile Motion and initial speed

In summary, Henrietta is jogging at a speed of 4.20m/s to her physics class when her husband Bruce realizes she forgot her lunch. He throws them from their apartment window, which is 48.8m above the sidewalk, at a time of 4.50 secs after Henrietta has passed below. To catch the bagels just before they hit the ground, Bruce must throw them with an initial speed of 11.206m/s. Henrietta is 18.9m away from the apartment when Bruce throws the bagels and she catches them at a distance of 51.072m from the apartment after a total time of 7.66 secs.
devilsangels287

Homework Statement

Henrietta is going off to her physics class, jogging down the sidewalk at a speed of 4.20m/s . Her husband Bruce suddenly realizes that she left in such a hurry that she forgot her lunch of bagels, so he runs to the window of their apartment, which is a height 48.8m above the street level and directly above the sidewalk, to throw them to her. Bruce throws them horizontally at a time 4.50 secs after Henrietta has passed below the window, and she catches them on the run. You can ignore air resistance.

Q: With what initial speed must Bruce throw the bagels so Henrietta can catch them just before they hit the ground?

Q:Where is Henrietta when she catches the bagels?

Homework Equations

I placed the origin to be at the top of the picture. Where 48.8 would become 0. (I hope you understand what I mean)

So I know:

Vox= 4.20 m/s Voy= ?
Xo= 0m Yo = 0m
X = ? Y= -48.8m
g= 9.8 m/s^2
t= 4.5 secs t= 4.5 secs

I think that the x and y time are the same.

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was first find the x, so

X= Vox*t
X= 4.2*4.5
X= 18.9m

So that was suppose to answer part B question, but its wrong so I don't how else to do it.

And then for the part 1 question I did this

Y=Yo + Voy*t - (1/2)(g)(t^2)
-48.8= 0 + 4.5(Voy) - (1/2)(9.8)(4.6^2)
-48.8= 4.5(Voy) - 99.225

added both sides with 99.225

50.425 = 4.5Voy
Voy= 11.206 m/s

So I also thought that was correct, but it wasn't and don't any other way to do this. Please help me! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The part you're getting wrong is, he throws the lunch after 4.5... she doesn't catch them after 4.5.

set t = 0, to be when he throws the lunch... where is Henrietta at this time?

If I were to plug t = 0, wouldn't it make the answer equal to 0 then?? Am I using the right equations for this problem? Because these are the only equations that my teacher gave me.

X= 4.2(0)= 0m

Y=Yo + Voy*t - (1/2)(g)(t^2)
-48.8= 0 + 0(Voy) - (1/2)(9.8)(0^2)
-48.8= ?

I don't know if I am using the right equations?

answear the issues in the problem bit by bit.

Setting t=0, is just a shift for the sake of computational simplicity, just as when you set Y=0 instead of 48.8. Then you can convert time to relative when she started running.

now, answear this : when the husband throws the lunch, where is his whife ? (coordinate Xh0,Yh0)

I don't know?? 0m?? I mean if I using the correct equation wouldn't it be zero because we are assuming that t= 0

X= 0+(4.2)(0)
X= 0? Is this correct?

There are two components of the velocity: the vertical component and the horizontal component. Work with these independently. Use the vertical component to calculate the time until "just before they hit the ground." It doesn't matter if she's running 2 m/s or 10 m/s - either way, it's going to take just as long for the bagels to reach the ground.

devilsangels287 said:
I don't know?? 0m?? I mean if I using the correct equation wouldn't it be zero because we are assuming that t= 0

X= 0+(4.2)(0)
X= 0? Is this correct?

no, the husband throws the meal at [tex]t=4.5[/tex]
so the wife is at
[tex]X_{w0} = 0 + 4.2 * t[/tex]

and in all the experiment, the height of the wife is at the ground which is normally 0. but you shifted it so that the window's (in the appartment) heigh = 0.
so the heigh of the wife is
[tex]Y_{w0} = -48.8 m[/tex]

Further, the coordinates of the meal when it is lauched are ([tex]X_{m0} = 0[/tex], [tex]Y_{m0}=0[/tex]), right ?Now that is the conditions when the meal is thrown, at t=4.5.

We can reconsider another shifted time, [tex]t' = 0[/tex] when [tex]t=4.5[/tex].

You can solve the equations from there, taking into accout [tex]t'[/tex] and not [tex]t[/tex].

-----------------------------------------------------
Correct me if I am wrong.
http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.com/présentation2

devilsangels287 said:

X= 0+(4.2)(0)
X= 0? Is this correct?

Henrietta is at 18.9m when he throws the bagels... So Xo = 18.9m.

So we are setting the start point of the problem at the moment he throws the bagels... as tabchouri explained... at this point in time... For the bagels... Xo=0. Yo=0. For Henrietta Xo = 18.9. Yo=-48.8

So when t= 0 secs, Henrietta is 18.9m away from the house. So we have to find what time she catches the bagels to find the additional distance that she is away from the house?

devilsangels287 said:
So when t= 0 secs, Henrietta is 18.9m away from the house. So we have to find what time she catches the bagels to find the additional distance that she is away from the house?

yes... and to get the velocity with which the bagels are thrown.

I find the time of the bagels to drop, which was 3.16secs.
I used the equation t=sqrt((2Y_0)/g)) = sqrt((2*48.8)/9.8) = 3.16 secs

Then since we know the time that it took Henrietta to walk down 4.5 secs + 3.16 secs(the time it took the bagels to drop) now equals to 7.66 secs

X= X_o+V_ox*t
X= 18.9 + 4.2*7.66
X= 51.072m

Is that the distance from the house where Henrietta catches the bagels?
Is that the right way to do it?

If so, how would I do find the velocity?

devilsangels287 said:
I find the time of the bagels to drop, which was 3.16secs.
I used the equation t=sqrt((2Y_0)/g)) = sqrt((2*48.8)/9.8) = 3.16 secs

Then since we know the time that it took Henrietta to walk down 4.5 secs + 3.16 secs(the time it took the bagels to drop) now equals to 7.66 secs

Okay, so you're using the t = 0 point to be when she's right at the building... ie x = 0.

X= X_o+V_ox*t
X= 18.9 + 4.2*7.66
X= 51.072m

Is that the distance from the house where Henrietta catches the bagels?
Is that the right way to do it?

If you use the t = 0 point to be when she's right at the apt. building, then Xo = 0m

X = 0 + 4.2*7.66 = 32.172m

If you use the t = 0 point to be when the bagels get thrown, then Xo = 18.9m

X = 18.9 + 4.2*3.16 = 32.172m

If so, how would I do find the velocity?

Distance divided by time... 32.172m/3.16s

thanks so much for your help!

Related to Projectile Motion and initial speed

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is initial speed related to projectile motion?

The initial speed of a projectile is the speed at which it is launched into the air. It determines the height, distance, and time of flight of the projectile.

3. What is the formula for calculating initial speed in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating initial speed in projectile motion is v = √(g * d / sin(2θ)), where v is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), d is the horizontal distance, and θ is the launch angle.

4. How does initial speed affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The initial speed directly affects the trajectory of a projectile. A higher initial speed will result in a longer horizontal distance and a higher maximum height, while a lower initial speed will result in a shorter horizontal distance and a lower maximum height.

5. How can initial speed be manipulated to achieve a desired trajectory in projectile motion?

To achieve a desired trajectory in projectile motion, the initial speed can be adjusted by changing the launch angle or by using a more powerful launching device. A higher launch angle or a higher initial speed will result in a longer horizontal distance, while a lower launch angle or a lower initial speed will result in a shorter horizontal distance.