Projectile motion, Cat jumping off table

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a cat travels after jumping off a table with a given velocity and angle. The equations V(x) and V(y) are used to solve for time using the equation 0 = Xi + Vit +1/2a(t^2). The individual providing the summary believes they have solved for time correctly, though their teacher has a slightly different answer. They question whether they have solved for time correctly and ask for clarification.
epsilonaught

Homework Statement

A cat jumps off of the table with a velocity vi at an angle θ. The table is h meters tall. How far away from the table is the cat?
V(x) = ViCosθ
V(y) = ViSinθ

Homework Equations

I first solved for time using 0 = Xi + Vit +1/2a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got time as
t = ViSinθ-√(Vi2Sinθ2 + 2gh) / g But my teacher got a answer slightly different. Am I solving for time the write why? I think so. If not, What am I missing? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The negative sign should be positive in the expression of t.

Related to Projectile motion, Cat jumping off table

1. How does projectile motion apply to a cat jumping off a table?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity. In the case of a cat jumping off a table, the cat is the object that is launched into the air and the force of gravity causes it to follow a curved path.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a cat jumping off a table?

The trajectory of a cat jumping off a table is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity at which the cat jumps, the angle at which it jumps, and the force of gravity. Other factors, such as air resistance and the weight and size of the cat, may also play a role.

3. What is the formula for calculating the time of flight for a cat jumping off a table?

The formula for calculating the time of flight, or the amount of time the cat spends in the air, is t = 2v*sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can a cat control its trajectory when jumping off a table?

Yes, a cat can control its trajectory when jumping off a table by adjusting the angle and force of its jump. Cats are skilled at using their powerful hind legs to propel themselves in a certain direction and can also use their paws to adjust their path mid-air.

5. How does the height of the table affect the distance a cat can jump?

The height of the table does not necessarily affect the distance a cat can jump, as long as the cat has enough initial velocity and angle to clear the edge of the table. However, a higher table may require the cat to exert more force and jump at a steeper angle in order to successfully land on the ground.