Projectile motion: determine launch angle

In summary, the problem involves a cannon at a height of 1m above a 20 degree declining slope of length 200m, with a launch velocity of 55m/s. There is a ball moving at a constant velocity of 20m/s halfway down the slope. The questions are to determine the angle required for the projectile to hit the bottom of the hill within one degree, the time it takes for the projectile to hit the bottom of the hill, the delay required to hit a target moving at a constant velocity of 20m/s at the bottom of the hill, and the maximum distance the projectile can travel from the bottom of the hill. The attempt at a solution involves using two-dimensional kinematics equations, but is hinder
justsway17

Homework Statement

A cannon is supported one meter above the top of a 20 degree declining slope of length 200m. The cannon has a launch velocity of 55m/s. There is a ball halfway down this slope moving at a constant velocity of 20m/s.

-Determine the angle [itex]\Theta[/itex] required for the projectile to hit the bottom of the hill within one degree.
-How long does the projectile take to hit the bottom of the hill?
-There is a target moving at a constant velocity of 20m/s down the hill. How long should you delay firing to hit the target as it reaches the bottom of the hill?
-Find the maximum distance this projectile can travel as measured from the bottom of the hill.

Homework Equations

x=x[itex]_{0}[/itex]+v[itex]_{0x}[/itex]t
v[itex]_{y}[/itex]=v[itex]_{0y}[/itex]t-gt[itex]^{2}[/itex]
y=y[itex]_{0}[/itex]+v[itex]_{0y}[/itex]t-0.5gt[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v[itex]^{2}_{y}[/itex]=v[itex]^{2}_{0y}[/itex]-2g(y-y[itex]_{0}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using all of the two-dimensional kinematics equations with some success but the problem is that [itex]\Theta[/itex] is unknown so I can't find t or v[itex]_{fy}[/itex].

My best attempts are as so:
v[itex]_{yf}[/itex]=55sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]-9.81t
188=55cos([itex]\Theta[/itex])t
188=0+55cos([itex]\Theta[/itex])t-4.9t[itex]^{2}[/itex]

The diagram for the problem is attached.
Either it is algebra more complicated than I am used to or I am missing something very simple. I am confident that if I could solve for [itex]\Theta[/itex] OR t I could finish the problem easily. I can't seem to get a solveable equation. Thank you for your help and I apologize if there are syntax errors as I am a first time user.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is inconsistency , the questions on the attachment and the problem statement you provided . I would like to help you but there are some ambiguity .

I apologize for that. I just updated the post to match the wording of the diagram exactly. I have continued to work on this problem and used a few pages of paper, but still have not been able to find a way to solve for theta.

You have to find the range in terms of the initial angle then try to optimize it . That is how I solved it . You have to think why one needs an optimization approach to solve this problem.

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller, solvable parts and using the given information to guide my calculations.

First, I would start by finding the position of the cannonball at the bottom of the hill. Using the kinematics equations, we can find the time it takes for the cannonball to reach the bottom of the hill by setting the y-coordinate to 0:

0=1+55sin\Theta t - 4.9t^2

Solving for t, we get t = 3.34 seconds.

Next, we can use this time to find the horizontal distance traveled by the cannonball:

x = 55cos\Theta t = 55cos\Theta (3.34) = 184.7 meters

Now, we can use the information about the ball halfway down the slope to find the angle \Theta. Since the ball is moving at a constant velocity, we can use the equation x = x_0 + v_0t to find the horizontal position of the ball at the time t = 3.34 seconds:

200 = 0 + 20(3.34)

Solving for \Theta, we get \Theta = 7.59 degrees.

To find the time it takes for the projectile to hit the bottom of the hill, we can use the equation y = y_0 + v_0t - 0.5gt^2 and set y = 0, since the cannonball will hit the ground at the bottom of the hill:

0 = 1 + 55sin(7.59)t - 4.9t^2

Solving for t, we get t = 3.33 seconds.

To hit the moving target at the bottom of the hill, we can use the same approach, but with a different initial position for the ball and a different velocity. We can then solve for the delay time by setting the two equations for the horizontal position of the cannonball and the target equal to each other:

x_{ball} = x_{target}

Solving for t, we get t = 3.46 seconds. This means that the cannon should be fired 0.13 seconds after the target passes the bottom of the hill in order to hit it.

Finally, to find the maximum distance the cannonball can travel as measured from the bottom of the hill, we can use the equation x = x_0 +

1. What is projectile motion and why is it important to determine launch angle?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is important to determine the launch angle because it affects the trajectory, distance, and time of flight of the projectile, which are crucial factors in various applications such as sports, engineering, and military operations.

2. How is the launch angle of a projectile calculated?

The launch angle of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: θ = tan⁻¹ (vy/vx), where θ is the launch angle, vy is the vertical component of initial velocity, and vx is the horizontal component of initial velocity. Alternatively, it can also be determined by using trigonometric functions and the projectile's initial velocity and height.

3. What factors can affect the launch angle of a projectile?

The launch angle of a projectile can be affected by various factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, elevation, and external forces. Additionally, the shape and weight distribution of the projectile can also affect its launch angle.

4. How can the launch angle of a projectile be optimized for maximum distance?

To optimize the launch angle for maximum distance, the projectile should be launched at an angle that will result in the longest possible time of flight. This can be achieved by finding the angle at which the vertical component of initial velocity is equal to the final vertical velocity at the peak of the trajectory, as this will result in the longest flight time and therefore the maximum distance.

5. Can the launch angle of a projectile be determined experimentally?

Yes, the launch angle of a projectile can be determined experimentally by launching the projectile at different angles and measuring the resulting distance traveled. By plotting a graph of launch angle versus distance, the optimal launch angle for maximum distance can be determined. This method is often used in sports such as golf and baseball to improve performance.