Projectile motion equation proof

In summary, the launch angle θ can be expressed as tan-1(4hmax/R), where hmax is the maximum height and R is the range of the projectile. This can be obtained by first expressing tan(theta) in terms of sin(theta)/cos(theta) and then using relevant equations to eliminate vi and g and form tan(theta).
kubaanglin

Homework Statement

Show that the launch angle θ is given by the expression:

θ=tan-1(4hmax/R)

where hmax is the maximum height in the trajectory and R is the range of the projectile.

Homework Equations

hmax=vi2sin2(θ)/2g
R=vi2sin(2θ)/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand the significance of the ratio 4hmax/R. I tried a couple of things, such as substitution and simplifying equations but have gotten nowhere. Can someone give me a tip on how to start this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that your expression for theta means tan(theta)=4hmax/R.
Note that tan(theta) is a slope.
Can you write tan(theta) in terms of hmax and R?

I plugged in the two equations and simplified:
$$ \frac {\tan(θ)}{4} = \frac {h_{max}}{R} = \frac {\frac {v^2\sin^2(θ)}{2g}}{\frac {v^2\sin(2θ)}{g}} = \frac {\sin^2(θ)}{g\sin(2θ)} =$$
$$ \frac {\sin^2(θ)}{2g\sin(θ)\cos(θ)} = \frac {\sin(θ)}{2g\cos(θ)} = \frac {\tan(θ)}{2g}$$
$$ \frac {\tan(θ)}{4} \neq \frac {\tan(θ)}{2g}$$
What am I doing wrong? Are my initial equations incorrect?

Recheck the third equal sign on the top row.

Usually, it is more elegant to not assume the equation that you are trying to obtain.
So, try to work it backwards by trying to first express tan(theta) in terms of sin(theta)/cos(theta), then see how one can get the expression you are trying to prove.

That was it! I made a careless error and treated ##2g## as ##g^2## in the third step.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I write proofs for these two equations: ## \frac {h_{max}}{R} = \frac {\frac {v^2\sin^2(θ)}{2g}}{\frac {v^2\sin(2θ)}{g}}## before using them?

If I am not going to assume the two equations or prove them, what do I do after this: ##R\sin(θ) = 4h_{max}\cos(θ)## ?

Using the "relevant equations", eliminate vi and g... and somehow form tan(theta).

Related to Projectile motion equation proof

What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where y is the vertical displacement, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is time.

What is the proof of the projectile motion equation?

The proof of the projectile motion equation involves using the principles of kinematics, which is the study of motion, and the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law. By analyzing the forces acting on a projectile in the horizontal and vertical directions, we can derive the equation for projectile motion.

What assumptions are made in the proof of the projectile motion equation?

The proof of the projectile motion equation assumes that there is no air resistance, the projectile is moving in a uniform gravitational field, and the acceleration due to gravity is constant. It also assumes that the projectile is initially launched at an angle and with a certain initial velocity.

Why is the equation for projectile motion important?

The equation for projectile motion is important because it allows us to predict the motion of a projectile, such as a ball or a rocket, in both the horizontal and vertical directions. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports to calculate the trajectory of objects.

Can the projectile motion equation be applied to all situations?

The projectile motion equation can be applied to most situations involving a projectile, as long as the assumptions made in its proof hold true. However, in certain cases where air resistance or non-uniform gravitational fields are present, the equation may need to be modified or other equations may need to be used.