Projectile Motion from a cliff with no information.

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the velocity vector of a cannonball fired horizontally from a cliff, where the range is equal to the height of the cliff. The suggested solution involves equating the horizontal and vertical distances traveled by the projectile, resulting in an initial velocity of 0.5*g*t and a final angle of 63.4 degrees below the horizon.
stridle

Homework Statement

The range of a cannonball fired horizontally from a cliff is equal to the height of the cliff. What is the direction of the velocity vector of the projectile as it strikes the ground? (ignore air resistance)

Homework Equations

I attempted setting delta y = delta x, but had not luck.

The Attempt at a Solution

The apparent solution is 63.4 degrees below the horizon.

Physics news on Phys.org
delta x= v[initial]*t and delta y=0.5*g*t*t as velocity is zero along y-axis initially.
What do you get when you equate the two?

I get inital velocity = .5*g*t. I found that solution earlier but I do not understand how they get an angle from that information?

This velocity of yours is along which axis?

I honestly am very confused at this point.

I figured it out thanks for the help.

Related to Projectile Motion from a cliff with no information.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How does projectile motion from a cliff with no information differ from other scenarios?

In this scenario, the initial velocity and angle of launch are unknown, making it difficult to accurately predict the trajectory of the projectile. Other factors such as air resistance and the force of gravity may also vary depending on the location of the cliff and the characteristics of the object being launched.

Is it possible to calculate the exact trajectory of a projectile from a cliff with no information?

No, it is not possible to calculate the exact trajectory without any information. However, assumptions can be made and calculations can be approximated in order to estimate the trajectory.

What practical applications does understanding projectile motion have?

Understanding projectile motion is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It can be used to calculate the trajectory of objects such as projectiles in a game of basketball or a rocket launch, and can also be applied in designing bridges and other structures to ensure their stability during construction.