Projectile Motion from a height with Air Resistance

In summary, the question is about finding the range of a projectile launched from a cannon on a cliff of height h with a given initial velocity v0, when drag is proportional to the velocity. The student attempted to solve the problem by first trying to find the time using the horizontal motion formula, but it did not take into account the height difference. They then integrated the vertical motion equation to find t, but were unsure of how to proceed. The solution involves solving two linear differential equations using the initial conditions.
RawrSpoon
Hey all, me again. This time my question has to do with projectile motion with air resistance from a given height.

Homework Statement

A cannon is located on a cliff of height h. If the muzzle velocity of a projectile is v0, find the range of the projectile when the drag is proportional to the velocity.

Homework Equations

ma=-mg-kvy. Vertical motion
ma=-kvx. Horizontal motion
mg=kvt. Terminal velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted to find t via the horizontal motion formula, but my answer doesn't take into account the height difference. Then I tried integrating the vertical motion equation and got an answer of
t=-vt/g * ln((vt+vy)/(vt+voy)) where voy is the initial vertical velocity. I then made vy=dy/dt and tried to find t from there but I have no idea how to do the integration.

Am I even on the right path? I'm hoping if I can find the time t given y I can plug that into xcosθ*t to give me the range.

Physics news on Phys.org
ƩFx = md2x/dt2 → first 2nd-order linear diff. eq. in x
ƩFy = md2y/dt2 → second linear diff. eq. in y

You know the initial conditions (4 of them for the two equations) & they're linear constant-coefficient, so solution is straight-forward.

(I would use Laplace transform but that's 'cause I'm an EE. EE's can't so much as tie their shoelaces
without transforming to Laplace! :smile:)

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance is the movement of an object through the air under the influence of gravity and air resistance. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. As a projectile moves through the air, it experiences a drag force which decreases its velocity and alters its trajectory.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile affected by air resistance?

The presence of air resistance causes the trajectory of a projectile to be curved rather than a perfect parabola. This is because the drag force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, causing the projectile to slow down and fall at a steeper angle.

4. How does the initial height affect projectile motion with air resistance?

The initial height of a projectile affects its motion with air resistance in two ways. Firstly, a higher initial height will result in a longer flight time due to the increased distance to cover. Secondly, a higher initial height will also result in a smaller impact velocity due to the effects of air resistance.

5. What are the factors that affect projectile motion with air resistance?

The factors that affect projectile motion with air resistance include the initial velocity, initial height, mass of the projectile, surface area, and shape of the projectile. These factors can all influence the drag force and therefore impact the trajectory of the projectile.