Projectile motion motorcycle question

In summary: So the only term in the equation is t=5.127s.That makes more sense. Which of those velocities is given?vx is equal to 60m/s?vx is equal to the total velocity of projection, inclined at 30 degrees with the horizontal.
kelvin56484984

Homework Statement

A motorcycle daredevil wants to ride up a 50.0m ramp set at a 30.0 θ incline to the ground. It will launch him in the air and he wants to come down so he just misses the last of a number of 1.00 m diameter barrels. If the speed at the instant when he leaves the ramp is 60.0 m/s, how many barrels can be used?
the answer is 355

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi*cosθ
x=xo+vi*cos θ*t
Vf=Vi*sin θ -gt
y=y0+vi*sin θ*t-1/2gt^2
height=Vi^2*sin θ*cos θ/2g
Range=Vi^2*sin2 θ/g

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf=Vi*cos30
Vi=60 / cos30
Vi=69.3 m/s

R=Vi^2*sin2 θ/g
R=69.3^2*sin60/9.8
R=424

I

Physics news on Phys.org
kelvin56484984 said:
Vf=Vi*cosθ
That's a new one on me. What do you mean by vi and vf there?

I find it on my book
It should be
Vx=Vi+at for x component
(since a=0)

Vx=Vi*cosθ

You need to sketch a diagram first. First calculate the time after which the rider will land. Use that time to find the horizontal distance traveled i.e. d=Vprojectioncosθ. No of barrels will be simply the horizontal distance since the diameter of each barrel is 1m.

kelvin56484984 said:
Vx=Vi*cosθ
That makes more sense. Which of those velocities is given?

vx is equal to 60m/s?
I try to sketch this diagram
5817VS.jpg

kelvin56484984 said:
vx is equal to 60m/s?
I try to sketch this diagram
5817VS.jpg
Vx is not 60m/s. It is the total velocity of projection, inclined at 30 degrees with the horizontal. That's what you are supposed to show in your diagram.
Now, from your diagram, you can see the net vertical displacement of the rider. You know the acceleration due to gravity g. Set up an equation relating displacement with time and g and find the time taken by the rider to reach the ground. You can then use this time to find the horizontal distance covered before landing.

Last edited:
But how to use projectile velocity find the Vi?
50*sin30=Vi*sin30*t -1/2gt^2
x=x0+Vi*cos30t
these equation?

Right! You have Vi already.

Vi equal to 60?

kelvin56484984 said:
Vi equal to 60?
Yes.

But I substitute vi=60 to
I get t=0.995s or 5.127s
then put the t =5.127 into
x=x0+vi*cos30*t
then x=266
what's wrong with it?

Well, the displacement should be negative i. e. -25m.

kelvin56484984 said:
But how to use projectile velocity find the Vi?
No. He leaves the ramp at a speed of 60m/s. At that time, he is already at a height of 50 sin(30) m.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How does a motorcycle exhibit projectile motion?

A motorcycle exhibits projectile motion when it is launched off a ramp or hill and travels along a parabolic path in the air before landing back on the ground.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a motorcycle?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a motorcycle include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How can projectile motion be calculated for a motorcycle?

The projectile motion of a motorcycle can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. These calculations can be done using trigonometry and basic physics principles.

5. Why is understanding projectile motion important for motorcycle riders?

Understanding projectile motion is important for motorcycle riders because it helps them predict the trajectory of their bike when launching off a ramp or hill. This knowledge can help riders perform stunts safely and accurately, as well as make adjustments to their speed and angle for a successful landing.