Projectile Motion with Air Drag

In summary, the conversation is about a question that was posted in the wrong place. The person is seeking help with a problem that involves air drag. They are not sure how to add air drag to the problem and are seeking assistance. The conversation also includes a link to a helpful resource and a question about the person's familiarity with integration.
trumanf_
Homework Statement
Create a general equation to find the initial velocity of the ball such that it hits the target (x, y). Include air drag.

Variables known:
Launch angle (Theta)
Distance to target (x and y)
Drag coefficient of sphere (.47)
Relevant Equations
None
Tell me now if this question is posted in the wrong place. This isn't a homework problem per se, it's just a question I need answered and I'm not sure how to answer it. If there is any information missing, chances are I know it and forgot to post it, so please ask if something is missing.

I drew out the situation in the attachment below. I can only solve this problem without air drag, I'm lost as to how to add air drag to it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 169
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello trumanf, :welcome: !

You are in the right forum !
However, the 'None' under homework equations doesn't cut the cake: you'll need some !

trumanf_ said:
I can only solve this problem without air drag
Note that the exercise doesn't ask you to solve the equation, just to set it up.

Likes archaic

1. What is projectile motion with air drag?

Projectile motion with air drag is a type of motion in which an object (the projectile) is launched into the air and experiences the effects of both gravity and air resistance. This results in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How does air drag affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air drag, also known as air resistance, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and slows it down. This causes the projectile to follow a curved path instead of a straight line, and the amount of air drag depends on the shape and velocity of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of air drag experienced by a projectile?

The amount of air drag experienced by a projectile is affected by the object's shape, size, and velocity. Objects with larger surface areas and higher velocities will experience more air resistance than smaller, slower objects.

4. How is air drag calculated in projectile motion?

The calculation of air drag in projectile motion involves using the drag equation, which takes into account the object's shape, size, and velocity. This equation can then be used to determine the force of air resistance acting on the projectile at a given time during its motion.

5. Can air drag be ignored in projectile motion calculations?

No, air drag cannot be ignored in projectile motion calculations. While it may be negligible for some objects in certain situations, it still has an impact on the trajectory of a projectile and should be taken into account for accurate calculations.