Projectile Problem - Bullet from Raised ground

In summary, the sniper fired a bullet at 120 m/s at 30° above the horizontal from the roof top of a 35 m high parking garage. If the bullet strikes the level ground beside the parking garage, the following happens:-The bullet was in the air for 1.2 seconds-The bullet landed 0.5 meters from the parking garage's base-The bullet landed at an angle of 58 degrees.
aatari
Hi Guys, could someone kindly look at my solutions and let me know if I did everything correctly.
Thanks a lot!

1. Homework Statement

A sniper fires a bullet at 120 m/s at 30° above the horizontal from the roof top of a 35 m high parking garage. If the bullet strikes the level ground beside the parking garage:
  1. How long was the bullet in the air?
  2. How far from the base of the parking garage did the bullet land?
  3. At what angle did the bullet land?

Homework Equations

d = v.t
d = vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

3.PNG
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Parts (a) and (b) look good. Part (c) is incorrect. You need to use the components of the final velocity to find the angle.

kuruman said:
Parts (a) and (b) look good. Part (c) is incorrect. You need to use the components of the final velocity to find the angle.
How do I find the final velocity?
Do I simply use v2 = v1 + a*t?

Yes.

kuruman said:
Yes.
one more question. Could I also use v2^2 = v1^2 +2*a*d?
What's the criteria to choose one equation over another?

aatari said:
Could I also use v2^2 = v1^2 +2*a*d?
You could, but you have to choose the negative root because the bullet has a downward y-component when it hits the ground. The other equation allows to find the final y-component directly and its sign tells you whether the bullet is moving up or down.

Likes aatari
kuruman said:
You could, but you have to choose the negative root because the bullet has a downward y-component when it hits the ground. The other equation allows to find the final y-component directly and its sign tells you whether the bullet is moving up or down.
Ok so here is my solution.

V2 = v1 + a*t
= 60 -125 = -65

-65 m/s becomes my vertical component. Whereas 104 is my horizontal because horizontal remains constant.
Thereon I used tan-1 = O/A, which was 104/65. My final angle was 58 degrees

aatari said:
V2 = v1 + a*t
= 60 -125 = -65

-65 m/s becomes my vertical component. Whereas 104 is my horizontal because horizontal remains constant.
OK.
Thereon I used tan-1 = O/A, which was 104/65. My final angle was 58 degrees
Is this the angle as measured from the horizontal or as measured from the vertical?

TSny said:
OK.
Is this the angle as measured from the horizontal or as measured from the vertical?
I guess vertical?? Please see the diagram I drew. Pardon my not so great artistic abilities.
3.PNG

If it was me, I would probably state the angle it makes with the horizontal, rather than vertical. That is the way you originally attempted the answer. The problem statement uses angle with horizontal, when stating the initial firing angle. So if you want to do that, find the angle which is complimentary to 58°

Likes aatari
Thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciate it.

1. How does the angle of elevation affect the bullet's trajectory?

The angle of elevation determines the initial velocity and direction of the bullet. A higher angle of elevation will result in a longer flight time and a steeper trajectory, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a flatter trajectory.

2. What factors affect the range of the bullet?

The range of the bullet is affected by the initial velocity, angle of elevation, and air resistance. Additionally, the height of the raised ground, the mass and shape of the bullet, and the wind conditions can also impact the range.

3. How does the height of the raised ground affect the bullet's trajectory?

The height of the raised ground will affect the initial velocity of the bullet. A higher raised ground will result in a higher initial velocity and a longer flight time, while a lower raised ground will result in a lower initial velocity and a shorter flight time.

4. What is the maximum height the bullet will reach during its flight?

The maximum height of the bullet will depend on the initial velocity and angle of elevation. The bullet will reach its maximum height at the midpoint of its flight, where the vertical velocity is equal to zero.

5. What is the formula for calculating the range of the bullet?

The formula for calculating the range of the bullet is R = (v^2 sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.