Projectile Trajectory Analysis for a Darts Game

• Thread starter Stax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the question is about a darts game where the dart is thrown from a distance of 1.80m and lands in the bulls eye at a height of 1.73m. The dart has a mass of 25.3g and is thrown at an angle of 4° with a landing speed of 12m/s. The air resistance is ignored. The main things to determine are the duration of flight, the initial height of the dart, the angle of the throw, the initial speed, and the highest point of the flight. Working backwards and using trigonometry, the y-component of the velocity can be determined and used to find the time it takes for the dart to fall from the vertex of the
Stax

Homework Statement

The question is about the darts game. Bulls eye is at 1.73m height. The Dart (m=25.3g) is thrown from a distance of 1.80m.
Dart lands in the middle of the board (bulls eye) under an angle of 4° (to the horizontal line) with landing speed of 12m/sec. Air resistance is to be ignored.

Things I have to know are:
1.) How long was the dart in air?
2.) At what height (h0) was the dart in the moment of throwing?
3.) What was the angle of the direction the dart was thrown at in the moment of throwing (again, to the horizontal line)
4.) What speed was the dart thrown at?
5.) What was the highest point of the dart flight line?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) Since vx doesn't change, as far as I know: 1.80m / 12m/s = 0.15s.

2.) Now, I tried using different equations and even drawing this, but I always seem to be missing at least one piece of information, usually the throwing angle. For example using y=(v0*sin[itex]\alpha[/itex]0)*t-0.5*g*t2.. I tried to calculate v0 by separating the vector (speed and angle) at the landing in y and x vectors. Then used the vy vector (sin(4)*12=0.837m/s) and set it up in this equation vy=9.81*t+C, getting -0.6345 for C. Found out that vy=0 in t=0.065sec and calculated the positive and negative surface, added them and got 0.015m. I thought this would be the height difference h0 - h, but Maple (where I have to put my results in) says that's incorrect.

3.) Here, once again, I always felt like I was missing some information, no matter which formula I chose. Couldn't really think of anything else I could use to somehow get a result here..

4.) I used vx=v0*cos([itex]\alpha[/itex]0) here and changed it a bit and got 12m/s / cos(4) = v0 = 12.029m/s. Which is correct, according to Maple.

5.) In case what I did in 2.) was correct, the highest point should be in t=0.065 sec. I believe that could be calculated using h=h0-v0*t-0.5*g*t2. But since I'm missing h0, this doesn't help much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

Might I suggest working backwards in this problem?

Also remember that your landing speed gives you two values: your velocity in the x direction and your velocity in the y direction, all you need is to use trig to find those two components.

From there, you are correct in dividing your distance by the velocity, but you used the speed and not the x component of the velocity (although it is close) to determine the total time your dart was in the air.

I suggest using your y component of velocity to find out how long it would take to fall from the vertex of the trajectory (where your initial velocity in the y direction would be zero!) to your final landing velocity in the y direction.

Once you find that time, you have pretty much everything you need! The rest is plugging into kinematics!

What is a trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile refers to the path that an object takes as it moves through space under the influence of a constant force, such as gravity. It is a curved path that is determined by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force acting on the object.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind, surface conditions, and rotation of the Earth may also have an impact on the trajectory.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical velocity in the trajectory of a projectile?

The horizontal velocity of a projectile refers to the speed at which it is moving parallel to the ground, while the vertical velocity refers to the speed at which it is moving perpendicular to the ground. These velocities are independent of each other and together determine the overall trajectory of the projectile.

How does height affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The height at which a projectile is launched can significantly impact its trajectory. A higher launch point will result in a longer flight time and a longer horizontal distance traveled, while a lower launch point will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter horizontal distance traveled.

Can the trajectory of a projectile be predicted accurately?

The trajectory of a projectile can be predicted accurately using mathematical equations, assuming that there are no external forces acting on the object. However, in real-world scenarios, there are often external factors that can affect the trajectory, making it difficult to predict with 100% accuracy.