Projectiles, 2D Motion, displacement and average velocity

In summary, a bird watcher takes a trip through the woods, walking a distance of 0.3 km east, 0.65 km south, and 2.25 km in a direction 37.0° north of west, with a total time of 3.00 h. The magnitude and direction of the bird watcher's displacement from due west are 1 km and 2° north of west, respectively. The average velocity is 3 km/h with a direction of 4° north of west. To find the final displacement, the North-South and East-West components of the last leg of the trip must be added to the first two displacements, resulting in a final displacement of 1.82 km at
copitlory8

Homework Statement

A bird watcher meanders through the woods, walking 0.30 km due east, 0.65 km due south, and 2.25 km in a direction 37.0° north of west. The time required for this trip is 3.00 h. Determine the magnitude and direction (relative to due west) of the bird watcher's
(a) displacement and
1 km (magnitude)
2° (direction north of west)
(b) average velocity.
3 km/h (magnitude)
4° (direction north of west)
Use kilometers and hours for distance and time, respectively.

gravity: 9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + A(D)T
(D)X = Vi(D)T + (A(D)T^2)/2
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2A(D)X

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and i still don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an acceleration problem. It is just a matter of simple vector addition.

What are the North-South and East-West components of the last leg of his trip. Add those to the first two displacements to get the final displacement. Then determine the angle and length of the final displacement.

To find the average velocity, use the final displacement divided by time (3 hours).

AM

I would first clarify the given information and make sure all units are consistent. In this case, the given distances are in kilometers and the given time is in hours, so I would convert the distances to meters and the time to seconds to be consistent with the given value for gravity (9.8m/s^2).

Next, I would break down the bird watcher's motion into three separate parts: eastward motion, southward motion, and northwestward motion. For each part, I would use the equations for 2D motion to calculate the displacement and average velocity.

For the eastward motion, the displacement is 0.30 km or 300 m to the right (east) and the average velocity is 0.10 km/h or 0.028 m/s to the right.

For the southward motion, the displacement is 0.65 km or 650 m downwards (south) and the average velocity is 0.22 km/h or 0.061 m/s downwards.

For the northwestward motion, the displacement is 2.25 km or 2250 m at a 37.0° angle north of west and the average velocity is 0.75 km/h or 0.21 m/s at a 37.0° angle north of west.

To find the overall displacement, I would use the Pythagorean theorem to add the three displacements together: 300^2 + 650^2 + 2250^2 = 5300 m. The direction of this displacement can be found using trigonometry: tanθ = 650/300, so θ = 63.4°. This means the direction of the displacement is 63.4° south of east, or 26.6° west of south.

To find the overall average velocity, I would first find the total distance traveled by adding the three distances together: 0.30 km + 0.65 km + 2.25 km = 3.20 km. Then, I would divide this distance by the total time of 3.00 h to get an average velocity of 1.07 km/h or 0.30 m/s. The direction of this velocity can be found using trigonometry: tanθ = 0.30/1.07, so θ = 16.9°. This means the direction of the average

Related to Projectiles, 2D Motion, displacement and average velocity

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path under the influence of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a ball thrown into the air, a bullet fired from a gun, or a rocket launched into space.

2. How is 2D motion different from 1D motion?

2D motion involves movement in two dimensions, usually horizontal and vertical, while 1D motion only involves movement in one dimension, usually along a straight line. In 2D motion, the object's position is described by two coordinates, while in 1D motion, it is described by only one coordinate.

3. What is displacement?

Displacement is a measurement of an object's change in position from its initial point to its final point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

4. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. It is a vector quantity and is expressed in units of distance over time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

5. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 10 meters and ends at position 5 meters, its displacement is -5 meters, and its average velocity is also -5 meters per second.