Projection operators and Weyl spinors

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations of motion for the left and right-handed components of the Dirac spinor from the Dirac lagrangian. The terms involving the projection operators and the use of Weyl representation are also explained. The Dirac representation of gamma matrices and its relationship with the Weyl representation is discussed. The final part of the conversation explores the lagrangian in the zero mass limit and the interpretation of the first term as describing a massless fermion with negative helicity.
CAF123
Gold Member
I am working through some course notes where the aim is to derive the equations of motion satisfied by the left handed and right handed components of the Dirac spinor ##\psi##. From the Dirac lagrangian, we have $$\mathcal L = \bar \psi (i \not \partial P_L - m P_L)\psi_L + \bar \psi (i \not \partial P_R - m P_R)\psi_R$$ The next line is $$\mathcal L = \bar \psi_L i \not \partial \psi_L - \bar \psi_R m \psi_L + \bar \psi_R i \not \partial \psi_R - \bar \psi_L m \psi_R$$ I understand where the terms involving m come from but I am not sure about the other two. Can anyone help?

Another question is to do with the acting of the projection operators onto Dirac spinors. Since $$P_L \psi = P_L \begin{pmatrix} \psi_L \\ \psi_R \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{2}(1-\gamma^5)\begin{pmatrix} \psi_L \\ \psi_R \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} - \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1\\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \right) \begin{pmatrix} \psi_L \\ \psi_R \end{pmatrix}$$ which does not project out the left handed component. If I use the Weyl representation of ##\gamma^5##, it works but I am trying to understand why not in the Dirac representation of the ##\gamma^5##.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
I understand where the terms involving m come from but I am not sure about the other two. Can anyone help?
What is your problem with them? They follow directly from the form of the derivative terms.

CAF123 said:
Another question is to do with the acting of the projection operators onto Dirac spinors. ... which does not project out the left handed component. If I use the Weyl representation of γ5\gamma^5, it works but I am trying to understand why not in the Dirac representation of the γ5\gamma^5.
Because in Dirac representation the field is not represented as
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
\psi_L \\ \psi_R
\end{pmatrix}
$$
with ##\psi_L## and ##\psi_R## being the left- and right-handed components of the Dirac spinor.

Likes vanhees71
Hi Orodruin,
Orodruin said:
What is your problem with them? They follow directly from the form of the derivative terms.
If I write out the leftmost term explicitly then I get, $$i\psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} P_L \psi_L$$ I don't see the manipulations that made the adjoint spinor go to a left handed adjoint spinor.

Because in Dirac representation the field is not represented as
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
\psi_L \\ \psi_R
\end{pmatrix}
$$
with ##\psi_L## and ##\psi_R## being the left- and right-handed components of the Dirac spinor.
I see, how do we write the field in Dirac representation? Just like ##\psi = \psi_L + \psi_R##?

Thanks!

CAF123 said:
I don't see the manipulations that made the adjoint spinor go to a left handed adjoint spinor.
What is the commutation relation of ##\gamma^5## with the other gamma matrices?

CAF123 said:
I see, how do we write the field in Dirac representation? Just like ψ=
That is true in any representation. In Dirac representation, the components just do not have the same interpretation in terms of left and right handed fields.

Orodruin said:
What is the commutation relation of ##\gamma^5## with the other gamma matrices?
I think I see: $$\psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} (P_L \psi_L)= \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} P_L \partial_{\mu} \psi_L = \frac{1}{2} \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} (1-\gamma^5) \partial_{\mu} \psi_L = \frac{1}{2}\psi^{\dagger} (\gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} + \gamma^0 \gamma^5 \gamma^{\mu}) \partial_{\mu} \psi_L = \frac{1}{2} \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 (1+\gamma^{5}) \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_L = \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^0 P_R \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_L = \psi^{\dagger} P_L \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_L \Rightarrow \text{result}$$ Is that ok?

That is true in any representation. In Dirac representation, the components just do not have the same interpretation in terms of left and right handed fields.
Ok, so in Dirac representation, the spinors are those labelled by ##u(p,s)## and ##v(p,s)##, where e.g $$u(p,s) = N\begin{pmatrix} \phi^s \\ \frac{\sigma \cdot p}{E+m} \phi^s \end{pmatrix}$$ The components are not written in terms of LH and RH fields. Is that what you meant? So when I (incorrectly) applied the Dirac representation of ##\gamma^5## onto the Weyl spinor ##\langle \psi_L, \psi_R \rangle## I was going to get, as a result, a state with the left and right handed fields mixed and thus no notion of left and right handed states in the Dirac representation?

Thanks!

CAF123 said:
Is that ok?
Yes.

CAF123 said:
So when I (incorrectly) applied the Dirac representation of γ5\gamma^5 onto the Weyl spinor ψL,ψR\langle \psi_L, \psi_R \rangle I was going to get, as a result, a state with the left and right handed fields mixed and thus no notion of left and right handed states in the Dirac representation?

Yes, this is no stranger than using a rotated representation of SO(2) or any other group. The representations are unitary equivalent, but look different in terms of components.

Likes CAF123
Ok so with the manipulations in the OP understood I get, in the zero mass limit, a lagrangian like $$\mathcal L = i \bar \psi_L \not \partial \psi_L + i \bar \psi_R \not \partial \psi_R.$$ The first term here is supposed to describe a massless fermion with negative helicity. (or equivalently a massless antifermion with positive helicity). I want to see why this is the case.

The first term gives, for the equation of motion for the LH component of the field, ##\not \partial \psi_L = 0##. The generic solution to the Dirac equation is ##\psi = \omega(p,s) e^{-ip\cdot x}##, where ##\omega## is four component spinor describing particle (u) or antiparticle (v) state, both of positive energy. A negative helicity means that the momenta is always in direction opposite to that of the spin? which by definition is what left handed means. Are these statements correct? Thanks :)

1. What is the purpose of projection operators in Weyl spinors?

Projection operators in Weyl spinors are used to extract the left- and right-handed components of a particle's spinor wavefunction. This is important in particle physics, as it allows us to describe the behavior of particles with half-integer spin.

2. How are projection operators defined in Weyl spinors?

In Weyl spinors, projection operators are defined as matrices that project a spinor onto its left- or right-handed component. These matrices are constructed using the spinor's chirality, or handedness, and obey certain mathematical properties.

3. Can projection operators be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, projection operators have applications in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. They are used to extract specific components of a wavefunction or field, and can be applied to various physical systems.

4. What are the properties of projection operators in Weyl spinors?

The properties of projection operators in Weyl spinors include self-adjointness, idempotence, and orthogonality. These properties ensure that the projection operators are well-defined and behave consistently in mathematical operations.

5. How do projection operators relate to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions, can be written in terms of Weyl spinors and projection operators. This allows us to analyze the spinor solutions to the Dirac equation and understand the behavior of fermions in more detail.