Projector Matrices: Conditions for A=uv*

In summary: If either A = 0 or B = 0 (meaning the identity matrix), then |A| = |B| = 1 (the number). But there are other possibilities as well.
math8
Consider the matrix [tex]A = u v^{\ast }[/tex] where [tex]u, v \in \textbf{C}^{n}[/tex]. Under what condition on u and v is A a projector?A is a projector if [tex]A^{2}=A [/tex], so we have [tex]u v^{*} u v^{*}= u v^{\ast }[/tex].

Does this imply [tex] u v^{\ast } = I[/tex] ? And what exactly are the conditions on u and v that they are asking?

do we have that [tex]u_{i} v^{\ast }_{i}=1[/tex] and [tex]u_{i} v^{\ast }_{j}=0[/tex] for [tex] i\neq j[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
math8 said:
Consider the matrix [tex]A = u v^{\ast }[/tex] where [tex]u, v \in \textbf{C}^{n}[/tex]. Under what condition on u and v is A a projector?
Can you clarify what uv* means and how this could be a matrix?
math8 said:
A is a projector if [tex]A^{2}=A [/tex], so we have [tex]u v^{*} u v^{*}= u v^{\ast }[/tex].

Does this imply [tex] u v^{\ast } = I[/tex] ? And what exactly are the conditions on u and v that they are asking?

do we have that [tex]u_{i} v^{\ast }_{i}=1[/tex] and [tex]u_{i} v^{\ast }_{j}=0[/tex] for [tex] i\neq j[/tex] ?

math8 said:
A is a projector if [tex]A^{2}=A [/tex], so we have [tex]u v^{*} u v^{*}= u v^{\ast }[/tex].

Note that [itex]v^{*}u[/itex] is a scalar, so you rearrange the terms of the product:

[tex]u v^* u v^* = u (v^* u) v^* = (v^* u) (u v^*)[/tex]

To Mark44, u is an nx1 column vector, v* is the conjugate transpose of v, where v is an nx1 column vector. So uv* is an nxn square matrix.

OK, that makes more sense.

A2 = A <==> A(A - I) = 0. What are the conditions for the last equation? Clearly, one possibility is that A = I (which is to say that uv* = I). But there are other possibilities (plural).

Mark44 said:
OK, that makes more sense.

A2 = A <==> A(A - I) = 0. What are the conditions for the last equation? Clearly, one possibility is that A = I (which is to say that uv* = I). But there are other possibilities (plural).

The only other possibility that I see is that uv* is the 0 matrix. In this case, [tex]u_{i}v^{*}_{j} = 0[/tex] for all i and all j.

There's another possibility. AB = 0 does not necessarily imply that either A = 0 or B = 0. For example,
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

Mark44 said:
There's another possibility. AB = 0 does not necessarily imply that either A = 0 or B = 0. For example,
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right] = \left[\begin{array}{c c} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

Oh true! But I am lost here, I am not sure what would be the conditions on u and v then.

If AB = 0 (meaning the 0 matrix), then |AB| = 0 (the number).

Related to Projector Matrices: Conditions for A=uv*

1. What is a projector matrix?

A projector matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by itself, results in the same matrix. In other words, it "projects" a vector onto a subspace and remains unchanged.

2. What are the conditions for a matrix to be a projector matrix?

The conditions for a matrix A to be a projector matrix are that it must be square, idempotent (A^2 = A), and symmetric (A = A^T).

3. What is the significance of A=uv* in projector matrices?

A=uv* is the standard form for a projector matrix, where u and v are orthogonal vectors. This form allows us to easily identify the projection subspace and the projection direction.

4. How are projector matrices used in practical applications?

Projector matrices are commonly used in data analysis, pattern recognition, and signal processing. They can also be used in image processing, robotics, and machine learning algorithms.

5. Can a non-square matrix be a projector matrix?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be a projector matrix because it cannot satisfy the condition of being idempotent (A^2 = A).