Proof by Induction of shortest suffix of concatenated string

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of strings and operators to prove a proposition about concatenation. The base case of the proof is shown and the inductive step is attempted, but it is difficult to prove that a certain string has a specific length. It is suggested to try constructing a new string to continue the proof.
Enharmonics

Homework Statement

7umjLm9.png

Wherein α, β are strings, λ = ∅ = empty string, βr is the shortest suffix of the string β, βl is the longest prefix of the string β, and T* is the set of all strings in the Alphabet T, |α| denotes the length of a string α, and the operator ⋅ (dot) denotes concatenation of two strings.

Homework Equations

Proposition 1: ∀α ∈ T* (λ ⋅ α) = α

CONCATENATION, defined recursively:

C-RC0: if |β| = 0, α⋅β = α ⋅ λ = α

C-RC1: if |β| = 1, α⋅β : |α| + 1 → T such that
(α⋅β)(i) = α(i) if i < |α|
(α⋅β)(i) = β(0) if i = |α|

C-RC2: if |β| > 1, α⋅β = (α ⋅ βl ⋅ βr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using induction on |α| (it seemed like it would be a bit easier this way when I started). I managed to prove the base case:

BASE CASE: Let |α| = 0. Then α = λ and

LHS = (α⋅β)r = (λ⋅β)r = βr = RHS

The inductive step is proving much more difficult, though:

INDUCTIVE HYPOTHESIS: If |α| = n, then (α⋅β)r = βr

LHS = (α⋅β)r = (αl ⋅ (αr ⋅ β))r = (αr⋅β)r = (αr⋅βl⋅βr)r

While I was applying my inductive hypothesis in the step

l⋅(αr⋅β))r = (αr⋅β)r = (αr⋅βl⋅βr)r

I noticed that if I could apply my inductive hypothesis again to the result:

r⋅βl⋅βr)r

This would leave me with the RHS, βr. However, in order to do that I'd have to be able to prove that the string

r⋅βl)

has length n. That's where I'm stuck. I can't think of a way to do that. I tried induction on |β| instead (just to see what would happen) and I ended up getting stuck in a similar way.

Is there a way to prove that |(αr⋅βl)| = n? Or is there a better way to prove this that I'm not seeing? I don't know what else to try at this point. Note that I'm not limited to using only the equations/propositions specified in the homework template. Those are just some easy axioms that were proven in class. I can use any proposition/theorem as long as I show its proof.

Attachments

• 7umjLm9.png
    7umjLm9.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that given ##(\alpha_n \cdot \beta)^r = \beta^r##, you need to show that ##(\alpha_{n+1} \cdot \beta)^r = \beta^r##. How would you construct ##\alpha_{n+1}## given ##\alpha_n##?

1. What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement or proposition is true for all values in a given set or sequence.

2. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction involves two steps: the base case and the induction step. The base case proves that the statement is true for the first value in the set or sequence. The induction step then assumes that the statement is true for a particular value and uses that to prove that it is also true for the next value in the set or sequence. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all values in the set or sequence.

3. What is the shortest suffix of a concatenated string?

The shortest suffix of a concatenated string is the smallest substring that appears at the end of the concatenated string, without any additional characters added to it.

4. How is proof by induction used to prove the shortest suffix of a concatenated string?

Proof by induction can be used to prove the shortest suffix of a concatenated string by showing that it is true for the first value (the base case) and then using the induction step to show that it is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until it is proven that the statement is true for all values in the set of concatenated strings.

5. Why is proof by induction useful in proving the shortest suffix of a concatenated string?

Proof by induction is useful in proving the shortest suffix of a concatenated string because it allows us to systematically prove that the statement is true for all values in the set or sequence. This method is often more efficient than trying to prove the statement for each individual value separately.