Proof concerning similar triangles and their ratios

In summary: It seems like you are trying to prove that all of the ratios (sin, cos, tan) are the same for two similar triangles, but this is true by definition of similarity. Similar triangles have the same angles and their sides are proportional, so their ratios will be the same. There is no need to prove it.
moriheru

Homework Statement

Prove that similar triangles have equal ratios (ratios of the sides)

Homework Equations

SSS, AAA, SAS, SSA

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted a rather messy and incorrect proof and problem statement prior to this and I wish to correct my mistakes now.
The ratios of the sides are sin(α), cos(α) and tan(α). The ratios of the similar triangle are sin(α'),cos(α') and tan(α').
So the problem amounts to showing that if two triangles are similar sin(α)=sin(α'), cos(α)=cos(α') and tan(α)=tan(α').
A triangle is similar to another if one or more of the above rules(SSS,AAA...) apply, so I shall attempt to prove that the ratios are the same for each case. I begin with the easiest:

SSS: All ratios are the same. Nothing to prove.
AAA: All angles are the same. It follows that α=α'→sin(α)=sin(α')...
SAS: If one angle and the enclosing sides are the same two triangles are similar.
I must now prove that all side ratios are the same. If the angle that coincides with that of the similar triangle is not the right angle, for instance α, then:
180°-90°-α=β so all angles are the same and I have already proven the AAA case. Job done hopefully
SSA: If the ratio of two sides and the angle opposite to the greater side of the ratio coincide then a triangle is similar to another. I must again prove that all ratios are then equivalent.
There are all in all three ratios(sin,cos,tan), so I shall prove this for all three seperatly:

Proof for sinus: All that is known is that the sini of the triangles are the same, I must also prove that cosinus and tangens are also the same. Mathematically:

sin(α)=sin(α') since sin(90°-α')=sin(90°-α)=cos(α)→cos(α')=cos(α) ( Please tell me if this is infact true)
and tan(α)=sin(α)/cos(α)=sin(α')/cos(α')=tan(α')

I am concerned about the last proof, I would be very greatfull if you could correct it.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What definition of similar triangles are you using? THe definition I'm familiar with is AAA, so with that definition you don't need to do all the other stuff. THe other rules are for congruent triangles, not just similar.

Last edited:
moriheru said:
SSA: If the ratio of two sides and the angle opposite to the greater side of the ratio coincide then a triangle is similar to another. I must again prove that all ratios are then equivalent.
NO!
In your other thread I showed that SSA doesn't guarantee that two triangles are congruent, and even included a rough drawing of two triangles that are obviously not congruent. Please revisit your other thread to see my post.

andrewkirk said:
What definition of similar triangles are you using? THe definition I'm familiar with is AAA, so with that definition you don't need to do all the other stuff. THe other rules are for congruent triangles, not just similar.
I agree. @moriheru, what definition of "similar triangles" are you using?

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that two triangles are similar?

To prove that two triangles are similar, you can use the Side-Side-Side (SSS), Side-Angle-Side (SAS), Angle-Side-Angle (ASA), or Angle-Angle-Side (AAS) similarity postulates. These postulates state that if the corresponding sides and angles of two triangles are proportional, then the triangles are similar.

2. What is the ratio of corresponding sides in similar triangles?

The ratio of corresponding sides in similar triangles is known as the scale factor. This means that the ratio of any two corresponding sides in similar triangles will be equal. For example, if the scale factor is 2, then the corresponding sides will have a ratio of 2:1.

3. How do you find the scale factor of two similar triangles?

To find the scale factor of two similar triangles, you can compare the lengths of any two corresponding sides. For example, if the lengths of the corresponding sides are 4 and 8, then the scale factor would be 8/4 = 2. This means that the corresponding sides are in a ratio of 2:1.

4. Can two triangles be similar if they have different angles?

No, two triangles cannot be similar if they have different angles. In order for two triangles to be similar, their corresponding angles must be congruent. This means that the angles in one triangle must have the same measure as the angles in the other triangle.

5. How can similar triangles be used to solve real-life problems?

Similar triangles can be used to solve real-life problems involving indirect measurement. For example, if you know the height of a tree and the length of its shadow, you can use similar triangles to find the height of a nearby building by setting up a proportion between the tree's height and its shadow. Similar triangles can also be used in map-making, architecture, and engineering, where scale models are used to represent larger structures.