Proof for moment of Inertia of thin disc

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the moment of inertia for a disc with a hole in the middle, using the equation I = ∫(p.r^3).dr. The correct solution is found to be I = M(R2^2-R1^2)/2, rather than I = M(R2^2-R1^2)/4 as previously thought. The error in the calculation was due to a missing factor of 2 in the equation dA = 2.pie.r.dr.
Redoctober

Homework Statement

Its actually not a homework , i am just curious about this

I have disc with a hole in middle , R1 is inner radius , R2 is outer radius , Mass M is the disc's mass . Let density of disc uniform .

I did it this way . -

λ.dA=dm
λ.pie.r.dr=dm as Area=pie.r^2

Let substute in the equation I = ∫( R^2).dm

therefore I = ∫( p.pie.r^3 ).dr
remove constants outside the integral therefore I =λ.pie∫r^3.dr
integrate (0 to R )to get I = λ.pie.r^4/4
using Mass = λ*pie*r^2

therefore i get I = (MR^2)/4 for thin Disc

As i have a hole therefore its I = M(R2^2-R1^2)/4

But sadly this is incorrent :/ . It seems that I = M(R2^2-R1^2)/2 is the correct solution

Please Help ! :O why my way is wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
you wrote,

λ.pie.r.dr=dm

Shouldn't there be a 2 in there? dA = 2.pie.r.dr ?

Spinnor said:
you wrote,

λ.pie.r.dr=dm

Shouldn't there be a 2 in there? dA = 2.pie.r.dr ?

Oh my god "Slap myself in face" Lol such a silly error :S ! .

Related to Proof for moment of Inertia of thin disc

1. What is the equation for calculating moment of inertia for a thin disc?

The equation for calculating moment of inertia for a thin disc is I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disc, and r is the radius of the disc.

2. How is the moment of inertia different for a thin disc compared to other objects?

The moment of inertia for a thin disc is different because it is a two-dimensional object with a hollow center, whereas other objects may be three-dimensional or have a solid center. This affects the distribution of mass and therefore the calculation of moment of inertia.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia for a thin disc?

The moment of inertia for a thin disc is important in understanding the rotational motion and stability of the disc. It determines how much force is needed to cause a change in the disc's rotational speed and how stable the disc will be when rotating.

4. Can the moment of inertia for a thin disc change?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a thin disc can change if there are changes in the mass or distribution of mass of the disc. For example, if the disc is bent or dented, the moment of inertia will be different.

5. How is the moment of inertia for a thin disc used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia for a thin disc is used in various real-world applications, such as designing rotating machinery, calculating the stability of spinning objects, and understanding the behavior of rotating celestial bodies like planets and stars.