Proof involving group of permutations of {1,2,3,4}.

In summary, the conversation discusses the group of permutations ##\sigma_4## and the elements ##x, y, \sigma, \tau## in this group. It is shown that ##K## and ##Q## are subgroups of ##\sigma_4## and it is asked to show that ##qkq^{-1}\in K## for any ##q\in Q## and ##k\in K##. It is suggested to use the shorthand notation for symmetric groups and to check the relation for the subgroup generators to prove this statement.
pondzo

Homework Statement

Let ##\sigma_4## denote the group of permutations of ##\{1,2,3,4\}## and consider the following elements in ##\sigma_4##:

##x=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\2&&1&&4&&3\end{matrix}\bigg);~~~~~~~~~y=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\3&&4&&1&&2\end{matrix}\bigg)##
##\sigma=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\2&&3&&1&&4\end{matrix}\bigg);~~~~~~~~~\tau=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\2&&1&&3&&4\end{matrix}\bigg)##

and put ##K=\{1,x,y,xy\},~~~~~~~ Q=\{1,\sigma,\sigma^2,\tau,\sigma \tau,\sigma^2\tau\}##

Show that if ##q\in Q## and ##k\in K## then ##qkq^{-1}\in K##.

Homework Equations

I have shown ##K## and ##Q## are subgroups of ##\sigma_4## that ##\sigma_4=KQ=\{kq~~;~~k\in K,~q\in Q\}##.

And I have found the following relations: ##x^2=1,y^2=1,yx=xy;~~\sigma^3=1,\tau^2=1,\tau\sigma=\sigma^2\tau##

The Attempt at a Solution

I would go through and calculate ##qkq^{-1}## for each ##k## and each ##q## but I know there must be a shorter way. Do you know of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just check the relation for the (sub)group generators. You do not need to check every element.

Ok thanks. So I only need to calculate ##\sigma x (\sigma)^{-1},~\tau x (\tau)^{-1}, \sigma y (\sigma)^{-1} \text{ and } \tau y (\tau)^{-1}##?

Right. You should however think about and convince yourself why this is sufficient as well.

Also a personal preference: I would suggest you learn and start using the more short-hand notation for the symmetric groups in terms of cycles. In this notation, your elements would be
$$
x = (12)(34), \ y = (13)(24), \ \sigma = (123), \ \tau = (12).
$$
It really simplifies performing the group multiplications as well.

1. What is a group of permutations?

A group of permutations is a set of elements that can be rearranged or ordered in different ways. In this context, the group consists of the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4, and the permutations are all the possible ways these numbers can be arranged.

2. What is the significance of studying proofs involving groups of permutations?

Studying proofs involving groups of permutations allows us to understand the fundamental properties and structure of this mathematical concept. It also has applications in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is a proof involving a group of permutations typically structured?

A proof involving a group of permutations usually starts by defining the group and its elements, followed by stating the theorem or property to be proven. Then, the proof involves using the properties and operations of the group to show that the theorem holds true for all possible permutations in the group.

4. Can you give an example of a proof involving a group of permutations?

Sure, one example is the proof of the Cayley's theorem, which states that every group can be represented as a subgroup of a symmetric group. This proof involves showing that a group can be mapped onto a subgroup of the symmetric group by using its elements as permutations.

5. How can proofs involving groups of permutations be applied in real-world situations?

Proofs involving groups of permutations have practical applications in fields such as computer science, where they are used in algorithms for data encryption and decryption. They are also used in coding theory for error correction and in quantum mechanics for analyzing the behavior of subatomic particles.