Proof involving subsets of a vector space

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from chapter 1.3 of the book Linear Algebra by F/I/S, which asks to prove that the union of two subspaces is a subspace of a vector space V if and only if one is a subset of the other. The attempt at a solution provided suggests that if one subset is a subset of the other, then the union is a subspace. However, the converse also needs to be proven. The conversation also mentions that the person is self-studying the book as their first exposure to linear algebra and may have more questions in the future.
zapz

Homework Statement

This is a problem from chapter 1.3 of Linear Algebra by F/I/S.

Let [itex]W_{1}[/itex] and [itex]W_{2}[/itex] be subspaces of a vector space V. Prove that [itex]W_{1}[/itex] [itex]\cup[/itex] [itex]W_{2}[/itex] is a subspace of V iff [itex]W_{1}[/itex][itex]\subseteq[/itex][itex]W_{2}[/itex] or [itex]W_{2}[/itex] [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [itex]W_{1}[/itex].

Homework Equations

See attempt at solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof goes as such:

If [itex]W_{1}[/itex][itex]\subseteq[/itex][itex]W_{2}[/itex] then the union of those subspaces is [itex]W_{2}[/itex], therefore, by the given, it the union is a subspace of V.
The same logic is used to argue the other subset.

I'm not sure if this is correct, and additionally, I'm not sure if its a logical proof. I feel it is a little cyclical maybe. Thanks for all the help, I'm having a tough time with this text.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah that's half of the solution right there.

Then you need to also show (it's iff = if and only if), given that [itex] W_1 \cup W_2 [/itex] is a subspace, either [itex] W_1 \subset W_2 [/itex] or [itex] W_2 \subset W_1 [/itex]

Okay cool. Thanks. I'm self studying this book as a first exposure to linear algebra so I'm sure I'll be posting some more questions.

Related to Proof involving subsets of a vector space

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and two operations, vector addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity element, and inverse element.

What are subsets of a vector space?

Subsets of a vector space are any collection of vectors from the vector space that satisfy the properties of a vector space. This means that they are closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contain an identity element and inverse element.

Can subsets of a vector space be proven to be a vector space?

Yes, subsets of a vector space can be proven to be a vector space by showing that they satisfy all the properties of a vector space. This can be done by applying the definitions of vector addition and scalar multiplication to the elements in the subset and showing that they still satisfy the properties.

What is the importance of proving subsets of a vector space?

Proving subsets of a vector space is important in order to establish their properties and determine if they can be considered a vector space. This is useful in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as linear algebra and quantum mechanics, where vector spaces are commonly used to model and solve problems.

What are some common techniques used in proofs involving subsets of a vector space?

Some common techniques used in proofs involving subsets of a vector space include showing closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, using properties of vector spaces such as associativity and commutativity, and using mathematical induction to prove that a property holds for all elements in the subset.