Proof of (a) and (b) for All n

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Like Mark said induction is a good tool.The index looks to be 1, 2, 3, ..., n.n ISN'T the number of sets. It's an index. That's why it's a subscript on the A. And the index looks to me like n is an element of 1,2,3,... reading between the lines on the problem statement. I.e. perhaps there are an infinite number. Perhaps there aren't. It doesn't matter to the proof. Just because you see 1,2,3... in a problem doesn't mean it's solved by induction.
Shackleford
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that you are intended to use induction on these.

Mark44 said:

I don't know how that would work in this case. It's all new to me.

What's wrong with the way I did it?

Mark44 said:

Why? You don't know the index set is even ordered. And you don't need to.

Like Mark said induction is a good tool.

If you are familiar with induction you can see that it is well suited to it.

Extending the case from k to k+1 would require just a little manipulation and some rearrangement of terms.

chiro said:

Extending the case from k to k+1 would require just a little manipulation and some rearrangement of terms.

I'm not familiar with induction.

chiro said:

This is baloney. There is nothing really wrong with the proof as presented. This is logic. There's no difference between the proof with two sets and the proof with an uncountable infinity of sets.

Last edited:
Shackleford said:
I'm not familiar with induction.

Induction is basically a way to prove things by "domino theory".

When I say domino theory I mean that you prove it for the first case, then you assume its true for k cases and prove it for the (k+1)th case.

So in your example we know its true for NOT(A and B) = NOT(A) OR NOT(B).

Now assume its true for n = k

So let's say you have NOT(A(0) and A(1) and A(2) and ... and A(N-1)) = NOT(A(0)) or NOT(A(1)) or ... or NOT(A(N-1)).

Lets say LHS = B, RHS = C

D = NOT(NOT(B) AND A(N)) = NOT(NOT(B)) or NOT(A(N)) = B OR NOT(A(N)

But B = C so

D = B OR NOT(A(N)) = C OR NOT(A(N)) = RHS for term k + 1

Proved for term k+1 assuming true for term k.

Therefore proven by induction.

If you want to know more about induction pick up a book on discrete mathematics or if you are keen enrol in a course in discrete mathematics.

Dick said:
This is baloney. There is nothing really wrong with the proof as presented. This is logic. There's no difference between the proof with two sets and the proof with an uncountable infinity of sets.

I said induction is a good tool. I did not say induction is the only tool. With mathematics there will for most problems be more than one method that yields the correct solution.

chiro said:
I said induction is a good tool. I did not say induction is the only tool. With mathematics there will for most problems be more than one method that yields the correct solution.

What's wrong the original proof? Why do you need induction?

Dick said:
Why? You don't know the index set is even ordered. And you don't need to.
The index looks to be 1, 2, 3, ..., n.

Dick said:

How do you get an uncountable infinity of sets?
[tex](\cup_n A_n)^C = \cap_n A_n^C[/tex]

Mark44 said:
How do you get an uncountable infinity of sets?
[tex](\cup_n A_n)^C = \cap_n A_n^C[/tex]

I'm saying it wouldn't make any difference to the proof if there were.

Mark44 said:
The index looks to be 1, 2, 3, ..., n.

n ISN'T the number of sets. It's an index. That's why it's a subscript on the A. And the index looks to me like n is an element of 1,2,3,... reading between the lines on the problem statement. I.e. perhaps there are an infinite number. Perhaps there aren't. It doesn't matter to the proof. Just because you see 1,2,3... in a problem doesn't mean it's solved by induction.

Related to Proof of (a) and (b) for All n

1. What is "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n"?

"Proof of (a) and (b) for All n" is a mathematical concept that involves proving two statements, (a) and (b), for all possible values of n. This is typically done using mathematical induction, which involves proving the statements for a base case and then showing that they hold for all subsequent cases.

2. Why is "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n" important?

This concept is important because it allows us to prove that a certain statement is true for all possible values of n, rather than just for a specific value. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and other scientific fields, as it provides a more general and comprehensive understanding of a given problem or concept.

3. What is the process for proving "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n"?

The process for proving "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n" typically involves three steps: (1) proving the statements for a base case, which is usually n = 1 or 0, (2) assuming the statements are true for some arbitrary value of n, and (3) using mathematical induction to show that the statements hold for all subsequent values of n.

4. What are some common mistakes when proving "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n"?

One common mistake is to incorrectly prove the base case, which can lead to incorrect conclusions about the statements for all subsequent values of n. Another mistake is to incorrectly assume that the statements are true for some arbitrary value of n, which can also lead to incorrect conclusions.

5. Can "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n" be used for any type of statement?

No, "Proof of (a) and (b) for All n" is specifically used for statements that involve some sort of recursive or inductive structure. It may not be applicable to other types of statements that do not follow this structure.