Proof of a Lorentz Transformation

In summary, we need to show that the given matrix is a Lorentz Transform by setting up g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu'\nu'}\Lambda_{\mu}^{\mu'} \Lambda_{\nu}^{\nu'} and showing that it equals \eta_{\mu\nu}. We can do this by calculating for each case g_{00}, g_{0k}, and g_{kl} using the given equations and properties of Lorentz Transformations.
soothsayer

Homework Statement

Show that the following is a Lorentz Transform:
[itex] \Lambda _{j}^{i}=\delta _{j}^{i}+v^iv_j\frac{\gamma -1}{v^2}[/itex]
[itex] \Lambda _{j}^{0}=\gamma v_j , \Lambda _{0}^{0}=\gamma , \Lambda _{0}^{i}=\gamma v^i[/itex]

where [itex]v^2 =\vec{v}\cdot \vec{v}[/itex], and [itex]\delta _{j}^{i}[/itex] is the Kronecker Delta.

Homework Equations

[itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu'\nu'}\Lambda_{\mu}^{\mu'} \Lambda_{\nu}^{\nu'}[/itex]
[itex]\eta = \Lambda^T \eta \Lambda[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to go about proving a transform is a Lorentz transform, based on my "relevant equations", but I'm having a hard time setting the [itex]\Lambda[/itex] matrix up correctly. When I set up the matrix, I have terms in every cell, such as
[itex]\Lambda_{1}^{1}=1+v^1 v_1 \frac{\gamma -1}{v^2}[/itex]
and
[itex]\Lambda_{1}^{2}=v^2 v_1 \frac{\gamma -1}{v^2}[/itex]

and so on and so forth, but this feels wrong. I end up having to multiply two exceedingly complicated matrices along the way, which I know to be wrong (the professor hinted that excessive matrix multiplication was a sign you were doing the problem wrong.) How do I set things us? What I really want to know is, what is [itex]\Lambda_{j}^{i}[/itex]? How do I handle the vector indices (vi, vj)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should do this, let [itex]g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu'\nu'}\Lambda_{\mu}^{\mu'} \Lambda_{\nu}^{\nu'}[/itex] then you sholud show that [itex]g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]. This you can do calculating for each case [itex]g_{00},g_{0k}\, and\, g_{kl}[/itex] using
[tex]g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu'\nu'}\Lambda_{\mu}^{\mu'} \Lambda_{\nu}^{\nu'}=\eta_{00}\Lambda_{\nu}^{0}\Lambda_{\mu}^{0}+\eta_{ij}\Lambda_{\nu}^{i}\Lambda_{\mu}^{j}[/tex]
[tex]=-\Lambda_{\nu}^{0}\Lambda_{\mu}^{0}+\delta_{ij}\Lambda_{\nu}^{i} \Lambda_{\mu}^{j}=-\Lambda_{\nu}^{0}\Lambda_{\mu}^{0}+\Lambda_{\nu}^i\Lambda_{\mu}^i[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, that makes some sense to me. I'll give it a try, thank you!

The only part I couldn't follow is where you came up with the [itex]\delta_{ij} \Lambda_{\nu}^{i} \Lambda_{\mu}^{j}[/itex]. Where did the delta come from? Sorry, I'm quite new at this sort of math.

soothsayer said:
The only part I couldn't follow is where you came up with the [itex]\delta_{ij} \Lambda_{\nu}^{i} \Lambda_{\mu}^{j}[/itex]. Where did the delta come from? Sorry, I'm quite new at this sort of math.
assuming that latin indices take on values 1,2,3 while greek indices 0,1,2,3 then [itex]\eta_{ik}=\delta_{ik}[/itex] while [itex]\eta_{00}=-1[/itex]

Ah, right, thank you!

What is a Lorentz Transformation?

A Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It was developed by Hendrik Lorentz and is the basis for Einstein's theory of special relativity.

What is the significance of a Lorentz Transformation?

A Lorentz Transformation is significant because it allows us to understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. It also helps us to reconcile the seemingly contradictory principles of Galilean relativity and the constancy of the speed of light.

How is a Lorentz Transformation derived?

A Lorentz Transformation is derived using the principles of special relativity, specifically the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. It involves manipulating the equations for time and space in different reference frames to find a relationship between them.

What are the components of a Lorentz Transformation?

A Lorentz Transformation has four main components: time dilation, length contraction, velocity addition, and the relativity of simultaneity. These components work together to describe how time and space are perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference.

Why is a Lorentz Transformation important in physics?

A Lorentz Transformation is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in understanding how the laws of physics behave at high speeds. It has been repeatedly confirmed by experiments and is a crucial component of special relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of space and time.