Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)

In summary, the columns of a matrix that correspond to leading ones in the reduced row echelon form form a basis for the column space of the matrix. This is because any non-basis columns can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis columns, which is a result of the linearity of linear maps. This follows from the definition of RREF, as columns without leading ones are linear combinations of columns with leading ones.
mattTch
TL;DR Summary
Let A be an m×n matrix. I am not sure why it's immediately obvious that the set B containing all and only the column vectors of R = RREF(A) which have leading ones, forms a basis for R. In particular, why is it the case that Span(B) = Col(R)? FYI: The linear independence of B is obvious to me.
Theorem: The columns of A which correspond to leading ones in the reduced row echelon form of A form a basis for Col(A). Moreover, dimCol(A)=rank(A).

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider:

1. If [itex]\alpha : V \to W[/itex] is a linear map and [itex]B = \{b_i\}[/itex] is a basis for [itex]V[/itex], then [itex]\alpha(B)[/itex] spans [itex]\alpha(V)[/itex]. This follows from linearity of [itex]\alpha[/itex]: If [itex]v \in V[/itex] then [itex]v = \sum_i a_ib_i[/itex] and [tex]
\alpha(v) = \alpha\left(\sum _ia_i b_i\right) = \sum_i a_i \alpha(b_i).[/tex]

2. The [itex]i[/itex]th column of a matrix is the image of the [itex]i[/itex]th standard basis vector.

3. It follows from the definition of RREF that columns which don't have a leading 1 are linear combinations of the columns which do.

Why does 3 follow from the definition of RREF?

mattTch said:
Why does 3 follow from the definition of RREF?
Can chip in? If I've understood your question this might help.

Consider an example RREF matrix:

##\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 2 & 0 & 8\\
0 & 1 & 7 & 0 & 3\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 2\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix} ##

Some columns contain a leading '1' (with zeroes for all other elements). These are the basis columns.

Other columns do not contain a leading '1'. These are non-basis columns.

The basis columns here are ##C_1 = \begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}##, ##C_2 = \begin{bmatrix}
0\\
1\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}## and ##C_4 = \begin{bmatrix}
0\\
0\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}##.

From inspection it should be clear that any non-basis column can be constructed as a linear combination of the basis columns, e.g. ##C_5 = 8C_1 + 3C_2 + 2C_4##.

That’s because every non-zero coefficient in a non-basis column is a simple multiple of the ‘1’ in a basis column.

What is the "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)"?

The "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)" is a mathematical proof that shows how to find a basis for the column space of a matrix A. This theorem is useful in linear algebra for solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of matrices.

Why is the "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)" important?

This theorem is important because it provides a systematic and efficient method for finding a basis for the column space of a matrix. This can be helpful in solving various problems in linear algebra, such as determining the rank of a matrix or finding a basis for the null space.

What are the key steps in the "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)"?

The key steps in this proof involve using elementary row operations to reduce the matrix A to its reduced row echelon form. Then, the columns of A that contain leading ones in the reduced row echelon form form a basis for the column space of A.

Can the "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)" be applied to any matrix?

Yes, this theorem can be applied to any matrix, as long as it is a finite-dimensional matrix. In other words, the matrix must have a finite number of rows and columns.

How does the "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)" relate to other theorems in linear algebra?

The "Proof of Column Extraction Theorem for Finding a Basis for Col(A)" is closely related to other theorems in linear algebra, such as the Rank-Nullity Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Linear Algebra. These theorems all involve the concept of a basis and provide insights into the properties and structure of matrices.