Proof of convex conjugate identity

In summary, the conjugate of ##g(x) = f(Ax + b)## is ## g^*(y) = f^*(A^{-T}y) - b^TA^{-T}y ##, where A is a nonsingular n x n matrix in R and b is in ##R^n##. This can be proven using the supremum definition of the conjugate function and the fact that ## A^{-T} ## is the inverse of the transpose of A.
Zerox5f3759df

Homework Statement

Prove that the conjugate of ##g(x) = f(Ax + b)## is ## g^*(y) = f^*(A^{-T}y) - b^TA^{-T}y ## where A is nonsingular nXm matrix in R, and b is in ##R^n##.

Homework Equations

This is from chapter 3 of Boyd's Convex Optimization.

1. The conjugate function is defined as ## f^*(y) = \sup_{x\in dom f} (y^Tx - f(x))##

2. The differentiable conjugate is given as ## f^*(y) = x^{*T} \nabla f(x^*) - f(x^*)##

3. We also have that for arbitrary ##z \in R^n ## and ##y = \nabla f(z)## we have ## f^*(y) = z^T \nabla f(z) - f(z) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

This question/relation is stated right after explaining the differential conjugate relationships above, so I suspect I need to use these identities versus the definition using the supremum. However, I'm having trouble applying the known identities to the function ##g(x) = f(Ax + b)##. If the function was ##f(x) = Ax+b##, I'd calculate ##\nabla f(x)## as A, and plug that into (2) above.

I tried using (3) by letting ##z = Ax + b##. From this I have that ##y = \nabla f(z) = A## and then ## f^*(y) = z^T \nabla f(z) - f(z) ##. But expanding this out doesn't get me anything that looks promising.

Am I misunderstanding an identity here, or computing something wrong? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zerox5f3759df said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the conjugate of ##g(x) = f(Ax + b)## is ## g^*(y) = f^*(A^{-T}y) - b^TA^{-T}y ## where A is nonsingular nXm matrix in R, and b is in ##R^n##.

Homework Equations

This is from chapter 3 of Boyd's Convex Optimization.

1. The conjugate function is defined as ## f^*(y) = \sup_{x\in dom f} (y^Tx - f(x))##

2. The differentiable conjugate is given as ## f^*(y) = x^{*T} \nabla f(x^*) - f(x^*)##

3. We also have that for arbitrary ##z \in R^n ## and ##y = \nabla f(z)## we have ## f^*(y) = z^T \nabla f(z) - f(z) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

This question/relation is stated right after explaining the differential conjugate relationships above, so I suspect I need to use these identities versus the definition using the supremum. However, I'm having trouble applying the known identities to the function ##g(x) = f(Ax + b)##. If the function was ##f(x) = Ax+b##, I'd calculate ##\nabla f(x)## as A, and plug that into (2) above.

I tried using (3) by letting ##z = Ax + b##. From this I have that ##y = \nabla f(z) = A## and then ## f^*(y) = z^T \nabla f(z) - f(z) ##. But expanding this out doesn't get me anything that looks promising.

Am I misunderstanding an identity here, or computing something wrong? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

How can an ##m \times n## matrix be nonsingular if ##m \neq n##? And if you happen to have ##m=n## and a nonsingular ##A##, what does the notation ##A^{-T}## mean?

Likes Zerox5f3759df
Hello, and thanks for taking a look. The n x m is a typo, my apologies, it should be n x n. I do also have a proof, which actually does just use the supremum definition. Here it is

## g^*(y) = \sup_{x \in dom(g)} (y^Tx - g(x)) ##
## = \sup_{x \in dom(g)} (y^Tx - f(Ax + b)) ##
## = \sup_{x \in dom(g)} (y^Tx + y^TA^{-1}b - y^TA^{-1}b - f(Ax + b)) ##
## = \sup_{x \in dom(g)} (y^TA^{-1}(Ax + b) - f(Ax + b) - y^TA^{-1}b) ##
## = \sup_{x \in dom(g)} (y^TA^{-1}x - f(x) - y^TA^{-1}b) ##
## = f^*(A^{-T}y) - b^TA^{-T}y ##

As far as the notation ## A^{-T} ## that is the inverse of the transpose of A. I apologize on the notation and typo confusion. We are given questions pulled from all over, and I suspect there are oddities in the material due to that. Thanks so much for taking the time to review my question!

Hi Zerox5f3759df! Welcome to PF! :)

Do you still have a question?

Nope, I think I am good on this one. Thanks for checking!

1. What is the convex conjugate identity?

The convex conjugate identity is a mathematical theorem that states the relationship between a convex function and its conjugate function. It states that the convex conjugate of a convex function is equal to the supremum of its linearization over the domain of the function.

2. What is the importance of the convex conjugate identity?

The convex conjugate identity is important in optimization problems, as it allows for the transformation of a difficult convex function into a simpler linear function. This makes it easier to solve optimization problems and find the optimal solution.

3. How is the convex conjugate identity used in real-world applications?

The convex conjugate identity has many applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve complex optimization problems in areas such as portfolio optimization, signal processing, and control systems.

4. What is the relationship between the convex conjugate identity and the Legendre-Fenchel transform?

The convex conjugate identity is a special case of the Legendre-Fenchel transform, which is a mathematical tool used to convert a function into its dual form. The convex conjugate identity specifically applies to convex functions, while the Legendre-Fenchel transform can be applied to a wider range of functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the convex conjugate identity?

Yes, the convex conjugate identity only applies to convex functions. It cannot be used for non-convex functions or functions that are not differentiable. Additionally, it may not always provide a closed-form solution, and numerical methods may need to be used to find the optimal solution.