Proof of Electromagnetic Identity: Puzzling Last Expression

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a proof for an identity in electromagnetics. The last expression in the proof is causing confusion for the speaker, who questions the validity of a line integral being equal to 0. The other person clarifies that the line integral is equivalent to a curve integral with a specific parameterization. The conversation concludes with the speaker understanding the explanation and questioning if the other person intentionally left out information to make them think.
larginal
Homework Statement
two identities in electromagentics
Relevant Equations
curl of gradientV = 0
question.jpg

I tried to understand proof of this identity from electromagnetics. but I was puzzled at the last expression.
why is that line integral of dV = 0 ?
In fact, I'm wondering if this expression makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you had a curve integral along a curve ##\Gamma## with endpoints ##p## and ##q##, what would the integral
$$
\int_\Gamma dV
$$
be? Note that
$$
\int_\Gamma dV = \int_0^1 \frac{dV}{dt} dt
$$
if we assume that ##t## is a curve parameter in the interval [0,1] parametrising the curve such that ##p = \Gamma(0)## and ##q = \Gamma(1)##.

Likes JD_PM, docnet and etotheipi
I got it. Thanks! is it your intention that you didn't complete the explanation to make me think?

Likes berkeman and etotheipi
larginal said:
is it your intention that you didn't complete the explanation to make me think?
Yes.

Likes JD_PM, docnet, berkeman and 1 other person

1. What is "Proof of Electromagnetic Identity: Puzzling Last Expression"?

"Proof of Electromagnetic Identity: Puzzling Last Expression" is a scientific concept that refers to the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It states that these two forces are actually different manifestations of the same underlying electromagnetic force.

2. Why is this concept important?

This concept is important because it helps us understand the fundamental forces of nature and how they interact with each other. It also has practical applications in various fields such as technology, engineering, and medicine.

3. How was this concept discovered?

The concept of electromagnetic identity was first proposed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. He unified the theories of electricity and magnetism into a single set of equations, known as Maxwell's equations, which showed the interdependence of these two forces.

4. What evidence supports this concept?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the concept of electromagnetic identity. This includes experiments that demonstrate the relationship between electricity and magnetism, as well as the successful application of this concept in various technologies.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the concept of electromagnetic identity. Some examples include the use of electromagnets in motors, generators, and MRI machines, as well as the development of wireless communication technologies such as radio and Wi-Fi.