Proof of Left Cosets Partition a Group

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof that any two left cosets of a subgroup either do not intersect or are equal. The proof starts by supposing that the cosets are not disjoint and shows that this leads to them being equal. However, it does not address the possibility of the cosets being disjoint. It is possible for the cosets to be disjoint, and this can be demonstrated with simple examples. The theorem holds for all groups where the subgroup is proper, and it can be proven using an arbitrary element not in the subgroup.
Bashyboy
Here is a link to a proof which I am trying to understand.

http://groupprops.subwiki.org/wiki/Left_cosets_partition_a_group

The claim I am referring to is number 4, which is

Any two left cosets of a subgroup either do not intersect, or are equal.

Assuming that I am skeptical, then for all I know there are three cases: (1) ##aH \cap bH \ne \emptyset## but ##aH \ne bH##; (2) ##aH = bH##; or (3) ##aH \cap bH = \emptyset##.

The truthfulness of (2) and (3) is made reasonable by simple examples and calculations involving certain groups, such as ##D_4##. However, working with these examples, it is not clear that (1) is true or false; consequently, it remains as a possibility.

In the proof given in the link, they start out by supposing that ##aH## and ##bH## are not disjoint, that they could have some elements in common. Continuing on in the proof, we see that by supposing this is true, this undoubtedly leads to the cosets being equal; in doing this, they also show that it is not possible for ##aH \cap bH \ne \emptyset## but ##aH \ne bH##.

But they don't treat whether it is possible for ##aH \cap bH = \emptyset## to be true. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly possible for ##aH \cap bH = \emptyset## to be true. This occurs if and only if ##a## and ##b## are in different cosets of ##H##.

Bashyboy said:
In the proof given in the link, they start out by supposing that ##aH## and ##bH## are not disjoint, that they could have some elements in common. Continuing on in the proof, we see that by supposing this is true, this undoubtedly leads to the cosets being equal; in doing this, they also show that it is not possible for ##aH \cap bH \ne \emptyset## but ##aH \ne bH##.

But they don't treat whether it is possible for ##aH \cap bH = \emptyset## to be true. Why is that?
Because it's obvious that if they're disjoint, they're not equal. (This is true for any two non-empty sets, and we have ##a\in aH##, ##b\in bH##).

The goal is to prove that ##aH## and ##bH## are either disjoint or equal. They are clearly either disjoint or not disjoint, so it's sufficient to prove that if they're not disjoint, they're equal.

But how do I know if it is possible that they are disjoint? I understand that a disjunctive statement ##p \vee q## is true when at least one of the simple statements is true.

Is the only way to know that it is possible for two cosets to be disjoint is to work with simple examples, as I have already done?

The theorem holds for all groups ##G,H## such that ##H## is a subgroup of ##G##. The proof doesn't rely on the existence of ##a,b\in G## such that ##aH## and ##bH## are disjoint. So the proof even holds for the case ##H=G##.

Suppose that no such ##a,b## exist. Then ##aH=H## for all ##a\in G##. (This follows from the theorem and the fact that ##eH=H##). Let ##a\in G## be arbitrary. We have ##a=ae\in aH=H##. So ##G\subseteq H##. Since ##H\subseteq G## by assumption, this implies that ##H=G##.

Bashyboy said:
Is the only way to know that it is possible for two cosets to be disjoint is to work with simple examples, as I have already done?
If ##H## is a proper subgroup of ##G##, then take any element ##a \in G## which is not in ##H##. Which coset of ##H## contains ##a##? Certainly not ##H## itself. Therefore ##aH##, the coset containing ##a##, is not the same as ##H##. By the theorem, this forces ##aH \cap H = \emptyset##.

What is meant by "Proof of Left Cosets Partition a Group"?

In group theory, a partition is a way of dividing a group into smaller subsets called cosets. The proof of left cosets partitioning a group shows that, for any given subgroup of a group, the left cosets of that subgroup form a partition of the original group.

Why is it important to prove that left cosets partition a group?

Proving that left cosets partition a group is important because it is a fundamental result in group theory. It helps us understand the structure of groups and how they can be broken down into smaller, simpler subgroups.

What is the significance of using left cosets instead of right cosets in this proof?

The use of left cosets in this proof is significant because it allows us to show that the left cosets of a subgroup partition the group, while the same cannot be said for right cosets. This highlights the importance of the left coset in understanding the structure of a group.

What are some applications of the proof of left cosets partitioning a group?

The proof of left cosets partitioning a group has many applications in mathematics, especially in the study of abstract algebra and group theory. It is also used in other areas of science, such as physics and computer science, where groups and their properties play a crucial role.

Are there any practical implications of this proof?

While the proof of left cosets partitioning a group may not have any direct practical implications, it has numerous theoretical implications in mathematics and other fields. It helps us understand the structure of groups and their subgroups, which can lead to further discoveries and applications in various areas of science and technology.