Proof of Lorentz Gauge Existence: Help Understanding Schutz 8.3

In summary, in Schutz 8.3, it is shown that a Lorentz gauge exists with the equation $$\bar h^{(new)}_{\mu\nu} = \bar h^{(old)}_{\mu\nu} - \xi_{\mu,\nu} - \xi_{\nu,\mu} + \eta_{\mu\nu}\xi^\alpha_{,\alpha}$$ where ##\bar h## is the trace reverse and ##\xi^\alpha## are the gauge functions. The divergence is then shown to be $$\bar h^{(new)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} = \bar h^{(old)\mu\n
epovo
TL;DR Summary
In the derivation of the proof there is a step that I cannot make sense of
In Schutz 8.3, while proving that a Lorentz gauge exists, it is stated that
$$\bar h^{(new)}_{\mu\nu} = \bar h^{(old)}_{\mu\nu} - \xi_{\mu,\nu} - \xi_{\nu,\mu} + \eta_{\mu\nu}\xi^\alpha_{,\alpha}$$

where ##\bar h## is the trace reverse and ##\xi^\alpha## are the gauge functions. Then it follows with:
"Then the divergence is"
$$\bar h^{(new)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} = \bar h^{(old)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} - \xi^{\mu,\nu}_{\,\,\,,\nu}$$
I can't see why the divergence is that! I've tried and tried but I can't see it. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
epovo said:
I can't see why the divergence is that! I've tried and tried but I can't see it. Any help?
$$-\xi^{\nu,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\nu} + \eta^{\mu\nu} \xi^{\alpha}_{\,\,\,,\alpha \nu} = -\xi^{\nu,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\nu} + \xi^{\alpha,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\alpha} = 0,$$
since ##\alpha## and ##\nu## are both dummy summation indices.

Likes epovo and vanhees71
True! Thank you

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Lorentz gauge?

The Lorentz gauge is a mathematical condition used in the study of electromagnetic fields in special relativity. It is a gauge fixing condition that simplifies the equations of motion and helps to eliminate redundant degrees of freedom.

2. What is the importance of proving the existence of the Lorentz gauge?

Proving the existence of the Lorentz gauge is important because it validates the mathematical framework used to describe electromagnetic fields in special relativity. It also allows for a better understanding of the physical principles behind the gauge fixing condition and its implications for the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. How does Schutz's 8.3 proof demonstrate the existence of the Lorentz gauge?

Schutz's 8.3 proof uses mathematical techniques to show that the Lorentz gauge is a valid gauge fixing condition for the electromagnetic field equations in special relativity. It shows that the gauge condition satisfies the necessary conditions for a gauge fixing condition, such as uniqueness and consistency.

4. What are the implications of the Lorentz gauge for the behavior of electromagnetic fields?

The Lorentz gauge has important implications for the behavior of electromagnetic fields in special relativity. It ensures that the equations of motion for the fields are well-defined and allows for a consistent description of their behavior. It also helps to simplify the equations and eliminate redundant degrees of freedom.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz gauge?

While the Lorentz gauge is a useful tool for studying electromagnetic fields in special relativity, it does have some limitations. For example, it is not applicable in all situations, such as when dealing with non-linear fields or when considering the effects of quantum mechanics. Additionally, it may not always be the most convenient or intuitive gauge condition to work with in certain scenarios.