Gauge Transformations: Understanding Lorentz Condition

In summary, the Lorentz gauge is introduced as a perturbed metric, but there is still flexibility to make further gauge transformations as long as certain conditions are met. After taking the divergence and using the Lorentz condition, there is a term that must be zero for the gauge to hold, but the condition for this term to be zero requires the use of divergence-free vector fields.
PreposterousUniverse
I have introduced the Lorentz gauge on my perturbed metric ## \gamma_{\alpha\beta} ## given by ##\partial^{a}\gamma_{\alpha\beta}##. However, there remains the freedom to make further gauge transformations $$\gamma_{\alpha\beta} \rightarrow \gamma_{\alpha\beta} + \partial_{\alpha}\xi_{\beta} + \partial_{\beta}\xi_{\alpha}$$ provided that $$\partial^{\beta}\partial_{\beta}\xi^{a}=0$$

But I what I don't understand is that after taking the divergence on ##\gamma_{\alpha\beta} + \partial_{\alpha}\xi_{\beta} + \partial_{\beta}\xi_{\alpha}## and using the condition ##\partial^{\beta}\partial_{\beta}\xi^{\alpha}=0## we are still left with the term $$\partial^{\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\xi_{\beta}$$ But this term must be zero in order for the lorentz condition to hold. But how can this term be zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the Lorentz gauge given by the divergence of the traceless-metric ##\overline{\gamma}##? See e.g. eqn.11 and onwards of

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj-lZC_3JrsAhUBNOwKHQ82CsIQFjAAegQIBRAC&url=http://www.tapir.caltech.edu/~chirata/ph236/lec08.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0TqLVNZvAwJTMyQSqpZG03

I.e. you're right in your question: for your version of the Lorentz gauge, you also need divergence-free vector fields defining your residual coordinate transformations.

1. What are gauge transformations?

Gauge transformations are mathematical transformations that allow us to change the form of a physical theory without changing its physical predictions. They are often used in the study of electromagnetism and other fields of physics.

2. What is the Lorentz condition in gauge transformations?

The Lorentz condition is a specific gauge condition used in the study of electromagnetism. It states that the divergence of the vector potential must be equal to zero, which helps simplify the equations and make them more manageable.

3. Why is the Lorentz condition important in electromagnetism?

The Lorentz condition is important because it helps us eliminate redundant information from our equations, making them easier to solve. It also ensures that our physical predictions are consistent and do not depend on the specific gauge we choose.

4. How does the Lorentz condition relate to the gauge transformation?

The Lorentz condition is a specific gauge condition that is often used in gauge transformations. It helps us choose a specific gauge in which our equations become simpler and more manageable.

5. Can the Lorentz condition be violated?

Technically, the Lorentz condition can be violated, but doing so would lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in our physical predictions. Therefore, it is important to choose a gauge that satisfies the Lorentz condition in order to ensure the accuracy and consistency of our results.