Proof of No Right Identity for Operation with Two Left Identities

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, if an operation has two distinct left identities, it cannot have a right identity due to the contradiction that arises when evaluating the right identity with both left identities.
Punkyc7
If an operation has two left identities, show that it has no right identity.
[itex]_{}[/itex]
pf/
Let e[itex]_{1}[/itex] and e[itex]_{2}[/itex] be left identities such that e[itex]_{1}[/itex]≠e[itex]_{2}[/itex]. Assume there exist a right identity and call it r.

Then we have that
e[itex]_{1}[/itex]x=x
e[itex]_{2}[/itex]x=x and
xr=x.

From here I want to try and show that there can not be a right identity but I don't see where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
If an operation has two left identities, show that it has no right identity.
[itex]_{}[/itex]
pf/
Let e[itex]_{1}[/itex] and e[itex]_{2}[/itex] be left identities such that e[itex]_{1}[/itex]≠e[itex]_{2}[/itex]. Assume there exist a right identity and call it r.

This is fine so far.

Try evaluating e1r. What two pieces of information can you conclude? Similarly...

wouldnt I get
e[itex]_{1}[/itex]r=e[itex]_{1}[/itex]=r

and

e[itex]_{2}[/itex]r=e[itex]_{2}[/itex]=r

So we get e[itex]_{2}[/itex] and e[itex]_{1}[/itex] are equal contradicting that they were distinct.
Is that right?

Correct.

thanks, I was trying to figure it out with the x's and I couldn't come to any contradiction

Related to Proof of No Right Identity for Operation with Two Left Identities

1. What are left and right identities in mathematics?

Left and right identities are elements in a mathematical structure that, when combined with any other element in the structure, result in that element. In other words, they are elements that behave like the number 1 in multiplication or the number 0 in addition.

2. How do left and right identities differ from each other?

Left identities are elements that, when combined with any other element on the left side, result in that element. Right identities, on the other hand, result in the element when combined with any other element on the right side. In some mathematical structures, these identities may be different elements.

3. What is an example of a left and right identity in mathematics?

In the real number system, the number 1 is the left identity for multiplication and the number 0 is the right identity for addition. For any real number x, 1 * x = x and x + 0 = x.

4. Are left and right identities unique in a mathematical structure?

In most cases, left and right identities are unique in a mathematical structure. However, there are some structures where multiple left or right identities may exist. For example, in a matrix multiplication, the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s everywhere else) serves as both the left and right identity.

5. Why are left and right identities important in mathematics?

Left and right identities play a crucial role in defining operations and establishing properties in mathematical structures. They help us understand the behavior of elements within the structure and are essential in proving theorems and solving equations.