Unique Identities: Proving O₁ = O₂ in Theorem for Proof of Identity

In summary, proving unique identities in mathematics serves the purpose of demonstrating equivalence between two expressions in a given context. This is achieved through strategies such as algebraic manipulations, substitution, and logical reasoning. While unique identities can be proven in most mathematical contexts, there may be challenges such as determining the appropriate strategies to use and ensuring logical soundness.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Prove the identity of plus.
Relevant Equations
Declaration: O₁, O₂ : ℤ

Axiom “Left-identity of +”: x = O₁ + x
Axiom “Right-identity of +”: x = x + O₂

Now, prove the following.
Theorem “Identities of + are unique”: O₁ = O₂
Proof:
O₁
= Left Identity of +
O₁ + x

I'm a little confused where to begin this proof, I don't know if that is the first step either I think it is. Proofs are not a strength of mine so I struggle to see how to show that O₁ = O₂. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take your two defining equations and set ##x=0_1## in one and ##x=0_2## in the other.

ver_mathstats said:
Homework Statement:: Prove the identity of plus.
Relevant Equations:: Declaration: O₁, O₂ : ℤ

Axiom “Left-identity of +”: x = O₁ + x
Axiom “Right-identity of +”: x = x + O₂

Now, prove the following.

Left Identity of +
At first glance, I didn't know what you were trying to do, but maybe it's a language translation thing.

A more usual phrasing would be "O is the additive identity" or "O1 is the left-additive identity".
My point is that O1 and O2 are the left/right addition identities, the things that you can add to a number without changing it.

In a similar vein there is the concept of a multiplicative identity.

Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
At first glance, I didn't know what you were trying to do, but maybe it's a language translation thing.
One can define only one sided neutrals in group theory and show that they have to be the same, even in non commutative groups. I just don't recall whether one one sided neutral is already sufficient, or whether both are needed.

1. What is the purpose of proving O₁ = O₂ in the Theorem for Proof of Identity?

The purpose of proving O₁ = O₂ in the Theorem for Proof of Identity is to show that two objects or expressions are equivalent or identical. This is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to make accurate statements and draw conclusions based on the equality of two things.

2. How do you prove O₁ = O₂ in the Theorem for Proof of Identity?

To prove O₁ = O₂ in the Theorem for Proof of Identity, you must use logical steps and mathematical operations to show that the two objects or expressions are equal. This may involve using algebraic manipulations, substitution, or other methods depending on the specific theorem being used.

3. Why is it important to have a rigorous proof of identity?

Having a rigorous proof of identity is important because it provides a solid foundation for mathematical and scientific theories. It allows us to confidently make statements and draw conclusions based on the equality of two objects or expressions, and helps to avoid errors and misunderstandings.

4. Can O₁ = O₂ be proven using different methods?

Yes, O₁ = O₂ can be proven using different methods depending on the specific theorem being used. Some theorems may have more than one way to prove identity, while others may only have one accepted method.

5. How is proving identity related to the concept of unique identities?

Proving identity is directly related to the concept of unique identities because it involves showing that two objects or expressions are equivalent or identical. This demonstrates that each object or expression has its own unique identity, and that they are not interchangeable with other objects or expressions.