Proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the orthogonality of contours $$u(x,y) = c_1$$ and $$v(x, y) = c_2$$ where $$u$$ and $$v$$ are the real and imaginary components of an analytic function $$f(z)$$ by showing that the tangent lines to these contours are orthogonal. This is done by taking the dot product of the gradient vectors of $$u$$ and $$v$$ and using the Cauchy-Riemann equations. The reasoning presented is valid, and it ultimately shows that the $$u$$ and $$v$$ contours are indeed orthogonal.
Miscing

Homework Statement

My textbook (Churchill) is asking me to prove that the contours $$u(x,y) = c_1$$ and $$v(x, y) = c_2$$ where $$u$$ and $$v$$ are the real and imaginary components of an analytic function $$f(z)$$ are orthogonal at any point by noting that $$u_x + u_y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 $$ and then showing that the tangent lines are orthogonal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this via taking the dot product of $$\nabla u$$ and $$\nabla v$$ and using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that $$\nabla u·\nabla v = 0$$ hence the normal vectors of the contours are orthogonal, so the contours themselves are as well. But they asked to find the tangent line first, so here's what I tried, I haven't done any vector calculus in a few years though so I'm not sure if it's valid:

$$u_x + u_y \frac{dy}{dx} = \langle u_x,u_y \rangle · \langle 1, \tfrac{dy}{dx} \rangle = 0$$

$$\langle u_x, u_y \rangle$$ is $$\nabla u$$ which is normal to the contour, so $$\langle 1, \frac{dy}{dx} \rangle$$ must be tangent to the $$u$$ contour. From the above, $$\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{u_x}{u_y}$$ so $$\langle 1, -\frac{u_x}{u_y} \rangle$$ is tangent to the $$u$$ contour.

Similarly,
$$v_x + v_y \frac{dy}{dx} = \langle v_x, v_y \rangle · \langle 1, \tfrac{dy}{dx} \rangle = 0$$

So $$\langle 1, \frac{dy}{dx} \rangle$$ is tangent to the $$v$$ contour. In this case $$\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{v_x}{v_y}$$ so the tangent vector is $$\langle 1,-\frac{v_x}{v_y} \rangle$$ which is equal to $$\langle 1,\frac{u_y}{u_x} \rangle$$ due to the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Then $$\langle 1, -\frac{u_x}{u_y} \rangle · \langle 1, \frac{u_y}{u_x} \rangle = 1-1 = 0$$ so the $$u$$ and $$v$$ contours are orthogonal.

Is this reasoning valid?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your reasoning is valid. You have correctly shown that the tangent lines to the $$u$$ and $$v$$ contours are orthogonal, which implies that the contours themselves are also orthogonal. This is a valid approach to proving the orthogonality of contours in this case.

Related to Proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates

1. What is the definition of orthogonality?

Orthogonality is the property of two vectors being at right angles to each other, resulting in a dot product of zero.

2. What are harmonic conjugates?

Harmonic conjugates are two functions that are related to each other by a specific mathematical relationship, where the real and imaginary parts of one function are the partial derivatives of the other.

3. Why is it important to prove orthogonality of harmonic conjugates?

Proving orthogonality of harmonic conjugates is important because it provides a mathematical basis for the relationship between the two functions, allowing for the use of techniques such as the method of separation of variables in solving differential equations.

4. What is the proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates?

The proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates involves using the definition of orthogonality and applying it to the real and imaginary parts of the two functions, resulting in a zero dot product and proving their orthogonality.

5. How is the proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates applied in real-world situations?

The proof of orthogonality of harmonic conjugates is widely used in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering, specifically in solving problems involving differential equations and harmonic functions.