Proof of sinusoidal periodicity

In summary, the homework statement is to prove that f\left(x\right) = \cos(x) + \cos\left(\alpha x \right) where alpha is a rational number.
truth is life

Homework Statement

Prove that
[ltex]
f\left(x\right) = \cos(x) + \cos\left(\alpha x \right)
[/ltex]
where alpha is a rational number, is a periodic function.

EDIT: Also, what is it's period?

Homework Equations

[ltex]
f\left(x\right + p) = f\left(x\right)
[/ltex]
trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I used the definition of periodicity, then trig identities and term collection to get
[ltex]
\cos x \cos p - \sin x \sin p - \cos x = \cos \alpha x - \cos \alpha x \cos \alpha p + \sin \alpha x \sin \alpha p
[/ltex]
Since p is a constant (if it exists) and the left side is periodic by definition, the right side and hence the function must be periodic as well, yes?

EDIT: Now for the period, it would seem to need to be greater than 2 pi due to the naked cosine out in front. So, I would suppose that it would be something like [ltex]2 \pi + \frac{2 \pi}{\alpha}[/ltex], right?

EDIT2: WTH is going on, the board keeps eating my latex! (much later) and then it starts working again. How bizarre.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is alpha an integer, a fraction, or a real number?

Phrak said:
Is alpha an integer, a fraction, or a real number?

Duh, the one thing I forgot to put in the post. It's a rational number.

OK, good. I'm not sure where applying the trig identity could lead you, but I don't think it will help.

By way of a hint, for
[ltex]f\left(x\right) = \cos(x) + \cos\left(\alpha x \right)[/ltex]
to be periodic
[tex]\cos(x)[/ltex]
and
[ltex]\cos\left(\alpha x \right)[/ltex]
will each have an integral number of cycles in some unknown interval.

Phrak said:
OK, good. I'm not sure where applying the trig identity could lead you, but I don't think it will help.

By way of a hint, for
[ltex]f\left(x\right) = \cos(x) + \cos\left(\alpha x \right)[/ltex]
to be periodic
[tex]\cos(x)[/ltex]
and
[ltex]\cos\left(\alpha x \right)[/ltex]
will each have an integral number of cycles in some unknown interval.

The point behind applying the identity was to separate p from the interior of the function and allow me to rearrange the definition so that one side was in terms only of x and the other in terms of alpha x. Since I know that the basic functions are 2 pi periodic...

Anyways, thinking about it your way, I have
[ltex]n = \frac{k}{\alpha}[/ltex]
where n is an integer (the number of cycles the plain cos has gone through) and k is also an integer referring to the number of cycles that cos alpha x has gone through. Since alpha is a rational number, it can be decomposed into the general form
[ltex]\frac{p}{q}[/ltex]
where p and q are integers. Since k and n are both integers, k = p since otherwise alpha would not reduce to an integer and hence the function must be periodic. QED. Huh, that was more straightforward than I thought.

I didn't quite follow all of that but I think you've get the notion.

We could change the form of the equation and write things out in a way that's a little easier on the eyes.

[tex]f(y) = cos \left(2 \pi \frac{y}{M} \right) + cos \left( 2\pi \frac{y}{N} \right)[/tex]

When y = pM and y = qN each will have cycled an integral number of times. In this form the problem would have been easier to solve, I think. I'm using variables that are all integers.

To put it into the form of the given equation

[tex]2 \pi \frac{y}{M} = x [/tex]

and

[tex]2 \pi \frac{y}{N} = \alpha x \ .[/tex]

What is alpha in terms of M and N?

Last edited:

Related to Proof of sinusoidal periodicity

What is sinusoidal periodicity?

Sinusoidal periodicity refers to the property of a function or a signal that repeats itself in a regular, predictable pattern over a specific interval of time or space. This pattern is known as a sinusoidal wave, which is characterized by its amplitude, frequency, and phase.

How is sinusoidal periodicity measured?

Sinusoidal periodicity is measured using the period, which is the time or distance it takes for the wave to complete one full cycle. It is represented by the symbol T and is measured in seconds or meters. The frequency, represented by the symbol f, is the inverse of the period and is measured in hertz (Hz). The amplitude, represented by the symbol A, is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position.

What are some real-life examples of sinusoidal periodicity?

Sinusoidal periodicity can be observed in various natural phenomena and human-made systems. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the changing seasons, the movement of ocean waves, the alternating current in electrical circuits, and the vibration of a guitar string.

What is the difference between sinusoidal and non-sinusoidal periodicity?

The main difference between sinusoidal and non-sinusoidal periodicity lies in the shape of the wave. Sinusoidal periodicity follows a smooth, repetitive curve, while non-sinusoidal periodicity can have more complex and irregular patterns. Non-sinusoidal periodicity can also have multiple frequencies and amplitudes, whereas sinusoidal periodicity has a single frequency and amplitude.

How is sinusoidal periodicity used in scientific research?

Sinusoidal periodicity is a fundamental concept in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to study and understand various phenomena, such as the behavior of waves, the dynamics of oscillating systems, and the cyclic patterns of natural processes. Scientists also use sinusoidal periodicity to analyze and model data and make predictions about future behavior.