Proof of the Equipartition Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the ET (equipartition theorem) in statistical physics, specifically in Reif's "Statistical and Thermal Physics" textbook. The proof involves the Hamiltonian of the system, which can be written as H = bp_i^2 + E'(q_1,...,p_f), where b is a constant. However, according to the professor's notes, b can also be a function of all the coordinates and momenta as long as it does not depend on the i-th term. This leads to confusion for the speaker as the resulting integral no longer factorizes. The professor claims that the integral in p_i is the second moment of a Gaussian, resulting in <bp_i^2>
dRic2
Gold Member
The proof for the ET I've found in some of the undergrad books for statistical physics (for example in Reif's "Statistical and Thermal Physics") assumes the form of the Hamiltonian of the system to be:
$$H = bp_i^2 + E'(q_1,...,p_f)$$
where ##b## is a constant.
My professor in his notes, says that ##b## can be a function of all the coordinates and momenta as long as it does not depend on the i-th term, i.e., ##b = b(q_j, p_{j \neq i})##. I fail to understand the proof however. Since now ##b## is a function of the generalized coordinates and momenta the integral
$$<bp_i^2> = \int d^{3f}q d^{3f}p bp_i^2 e^{-\beta H}$$
no longer factorizes.
In his notes he just says that recalling that the integral in ##p_i## is the second moment of a Gaussian we immediately obtain ##<bp_i^2> = \frac 1 2 k_B T##. But I am unable to perform the calculations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
But the integral factorizes. If ##b## doesn't depend on ##p_i## you have
$$\langle b p_i^2 \rangle=\frac{1}{Z} \int \mathrm{d}^{3f}q \mathrm{d}^{3f-3} p b \exp(-\beta H') \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d}^3 p_i p_i^2 \exp[-\beta b p_i^2] ,$$
where the last integral leaves out the ##p_i## integration, which is done explicitly and ##H'## just omits the term ##b p_i^2##. Also don't forget the normalization factor, i.e., the partition sum which cancels all the stuff you omit to get the equipartition theorem in the given form.

vanhees71 said:
don't forget the normalization factor
Sorry, my fault.

vanhees71 said:
But the integral factorizes ...
the partition sum which cancels all the stuff you omit to get the equipartition theorem in the given form.
Still I don't get it. ##b## depends on all the other coordinates, so how can you simplify the remaining therms?

1. What is the Equipartition Theorem?

The Equipartition Theorem is a fundamental principle in statistical mechanics that states that in thermal equilibrium, the total energy of a system is equally distributed among all of its degrees of freedom.

2. How does the Equipartition Theorem relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Equipartition Theorem is a key concept in the kinetic theory of gases, as it explains the distribution of energy among the molecules in a gas. It states that in a gas, the average kinetic energy of each molecule is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas.

3. What is the significance of the Equipartition Theorem in thermodynamics?

The Equipartition Theorem is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to predict the behavior of a system in thermal equilibrium. It helps us understand how energy is distributed among the different components of a system, and how this distribution changes with temperature.

4. How is the Equipartition Theorem used in statistical mechanics?

The Equipartition Theorem is used in statistical mechanics to calculate the average energy of a system at a given temperature. It is also used to determine the specific heat capacity of a substance, which is a measure of how much heat energy is needed to raise its temperature by a certain amount.

5. Are there any limitations to the Equipartition Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Equipartition Theorem. It assumes that all degrees of freedom in a system are equally important and that energy is evenly distributed among them. This may not always be the case, especially in more complex systems or at low temperatures.