Proof of the linearity principle for a 2nd order PDE?

In summary, the linearity principle states that if u1 and u2 are solutions to a second-order homogeneous partial differential equation, and c1 and c2 are constants, then u whereu = c1u1 + c2u2is also a solution.
jack476

Homework Statement

My textbook (Advanced Engineering Mathematics, seventh edition, Kreyszig) indicates that if u1 and u2 are solutions to a second-order homogeneous partial differential equation, and c1 and c2 are constants, then u where

u = c1u1 + c2u2

is also a solution, this is the linearity principle (which it also calls the "Fundamental Theorem", not sure why though). I am asked to prove this theorem for second-order homogeneous partial differential equations of one and two variables. I am given as a hint that the proof is very similar to the same theorem for a second order homogeneous ordinary differential equation.

Homework Equations

First, the proof for the linearity principle for a 2nd-order homogeneous ODE of the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0. Substitute y = (c1y1 + c2y2). This results ultimately in:

y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = c1(y''1 + py'1 + qy1) + c2(y''2 + py'2 + qy2) = 0

I looked up also that the general form of a second-order homogeneous PDE is

Auxx +Buxy + Cuyy + Dux + Euy + Fu + G = 0 where A, B, C, D, E, F, and G are functions of x and y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the same approach with substitution. I let α and β be constants and u = αu1 + βu2

Then

Auxx +Buxy + Cuyy + Dux + Euy + Fu + G = 0

Becomes

A(αu1 + βu2)xx +B(αu1 + βu2)xy + C(αu1 + βu2)yy + D(αu1 + βu2)x + E(αu1 + βu2)y + F(αu1 + βu2) + G = 0

Finally resulting in

α(Au1xx +Bu1xy + Cu1yy + Du1x + Eu1y + Fu1 + G) + β(Au2xx +Bu2xy + Cu2yy + Du2x + Eu2y + Fu2 + G) = 0

It is from here that I do not know how to continue. How do I prove from this, as in the case for homogeneous ODE's, that a linear combination of solutions is also a solution? Thank you in advance, and I seriously hope I didn't somehow wreck the formatting :)

Physics news on Phys.org

jack476 said:
First, the proof for the linearity principle for a 2nd-order homogeneous ODE of the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0. Substitute y = (c1y1 + c2y2). This results ultimately in:

You misunderstand the proof. You can't say "substitute (c1y1 + c2y2)", if you mean substitute this expression in place of y in the equation and keep the "=0". If you keep the "=0" you are assuming from the outset that the function (c1y1 + c2y2) is a solution to the equation. What you must do is prove that the expression is a solution.

This results ultimately in:

You don't get the "=0" just by substitution. Why does the expression on the left hand side "=0" ?

jack476 said:

Homework Statement

My textbook (Advanced Engineering Mathematics, seventh edition, Kreyszig) indicates that if u1 and u2 are solutions to a second-order homogeneous partial differential equation, and c1 and c2 are constants, then u where

u = c1u1 + c2u2

is also a solution, this is the linearity principle (which it also calls the "Fundamental Theorem", not sure why though). I am asked to prove this theorem for second-order homogeneous partial differential equations of one and two variables. I am given as a hint that the proof is very similar to the same theorem for a second order homogeneous ordinary differential equation.

Homework Equations

I looked up also that the general form of a second-order homogeneous PDE is

Auxx +Buxy + Cuyy + Dux + Euy + Fu + G = 0 where A, B, C, D, E, F, and G are functions of x and y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the same approach with substitution. I let α and β be constants and u = αu1 + βu2

Then

Auxx +Buxy + Cuyy + Dux + Euy + Fu + G = 0

Becomes

A(αu1 + βu2)xx +B(αu1 + βu2)xy + C(αu1 + βu2)yy + D(αu1 + βu2)x + E(αu1 + βu2)y + F(αu1 + βu2) + G = 0

Finally resulting in

α(Au1xx +Bu1xy + Cu1yy + Du1x + Eu1y + Fu1 + G) + β(Au2xx +Bu2xy + Cu2yy + Du2x + Eu2y + Fu2 + G) = 0

It is from here that I do not know how to continue. How do I prove from this, as in the case for homogeneous ODE's, that a linear combination of solutions is also a solution? Thank you in advance, and I seriously hope I didn't somehow wreck the formatting :)

Don't you now need to use the fact that u1 and u2, by definition, are solutions to the original PDE?

In other words, if u1(x,y) = z(x,y), then

Azxx +Bzxy + Czyy + Dzx + Ezy + Fz + G = 0

and the same if u2(x,y) = z(x,y).

Stephen Tashi said:

You misunderstand the proof. You can't say "substitute (c1y1 + c2y2)", if you mean substitute this expression in place of y in the equation and keep the "=0". If you keep the "=0" you are assuming from the outset that the function (c1y1 + c2y2) is a solution to the equation. What you must do is prove that the expression is a solution.

I thought that was weird too, but it was just what came out of the book.
You don't get the "=0" just by substitution. Why does the expression on the left hand side "=0" ?

Because it's homogeneous, right?

SteamKing said:
Don't you now need to use the fact that u1 and u2, by definition, are solutions to the original PDE?

In other words, if u1(x,y) = z(x,y), then

Azxx +Bzxy + Czyy + Dzx + Ezy + Fz + G = 0

and the same if u2(x,y) = z(x,y).

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks:)

jack476 said:

Homework Statement

u = c1u1 + c2u2

is also a solution, this is the linearity principle (which it also calls the "Fundamental Theorem", not sure why though).

Of course, this result is false unless the PDE is linear.

jack476 said:

Because it's homogeneous, right?

"It's"?

No, nothing about being homogeneous explains why the left hand side of the equation is zero. I think you didn't read the words that go along with the equations.

1. What is the linearity principle for a 2nd order PDE?

The linearity principle for a 2nd order PDE (partial differential equation) states that if a PDE is linear, then the sum of any two solutions to the PDE is also a solution. In other words, the PDE can be broken down into simpler equations that can be solved individually and then combined to find the general solution.

2. How is the linearity principle used in solving 2nd order PDEs?

The linearity principle is used to simplify the process of solving 2nd order PDEs. By breaking down the PDE into simpler equations, we can solve each equation individually and then combine the solutions to find the general solution. This allows us to solve more complex PDEs by using techniques for solving simpler equations.

3. What is considered a 2nd order PDE?

A 2nd order PDE is a partial differential equation that contains second-order derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to two or more independent variables. It can also be written in the form of a linear combination of second-order derivatives.

4. What are some examples of 2nd order PDEs?

Some common examples of 2nd order PDEs include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations are used to model physical systems such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and electrostatics.

5. How does the linearity principle for 2nd order PDEs differ from that of 1st order PDEs?

The linearity principle for 2nd order PDEs is similar to that of 1st order PDEs, but it allows for the sum of two solutions to be a solution. In 1st order PDEs, only the product of a constant and a solution can be considered a solution. Additionally, the techniques for solving 2nd order PDEs are more complex and involve more advanced mathematical concepts compared to 1st order PDEs.