Proof that a vector space W is the direct sum of Ker L and Im L

In summary, the student is having difficulty with linear algebra and is stuck on a problem. They try to solve it and are unsure of how to proceed. They establish that P2=P is sometimes used as the definition of a projection and that w-P(w) is in ker(P). They are able to solve the equation for v-P(v) and conclude that v-P(v) is in the Ker P.
nilwill
Hi there. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I'm an undergraduate in Math and Economics and I am having trouble in Linear Algebra. This is the first class I have had that focuses solely on proofs, so I am in new territory.

Homework Statement

note Although the question doesn't state it, I think P is supposed to be a projection.

Let W be a vector space. Let P:W→W be a linear map s.t. P2=P.

Show that W= KerP + ImP and KerP[itex]\cap[/itex]ImP

namely, W is the direct sum of KerP and ImP

Hint: To show W is the sum, write an element of W in the form w=w-P(w)+P(w)

Homework Equations

I am unsure of any relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

KerP={z|P(z)=0}
ImP={P(v)|v[itex]\in[/itex]W}

I am kind of fuzzy on the meaning of P2=P, and this is where I am stuck.

Would an example be something like:

P=[itex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]P2=[itex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) \times \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex] =P?

From this example: for KerP=P(z)=0 , we would need to satisfy z+0=0, so z=0

For some v[itex]\in[/itex]W, the ImP is P(v)=v.

KerP[itex]\cap[/itex]ImP=0→ P(v)=P(z) iff v=0 so z=v where the two intersect.I am unsure where to go from here, or if I'm even doing this correctly. If someone could nudge me along towards and answer without giving the me the full proof, it would be much appreciated. I've been stuck on this problem for 4 hours over two days and I can't seem to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
P2 = P is sometimes used as the definition of a projection.

we can always write w = P(w) + (w - P(w))

no matter what w is.

P(w) is clearly in Im(P), so all you have to do is show that

w - P(w) is in ker(P).

what is P(w - P(w))?

P:V→V and P2=P

Let me see if I can define this better: so if V is the direct sum of U + W

let P(v)=u

let I am P be a complete subset of U; if u is an element of U P(u)=u, so I am P =U

let Ker P be a complete subset of W; if v is an element of V and v is an element of W, the v=0+w for some element w in W, so Ker P =W

let v=P(v)+(v-P(v))
Since P(v) is in the I am P, then (v-P(v)) is in the Ker P

So P(v-P(v))=P(v)-P2(v)=P(v)-P(u)=u-u=0
therefore, v-P(v) is in the Ker P

Is this correct so far? Sorry for not using latex. I have only used it in creating this post and was stretched for time.

I think I can do the rest if I have set this up correctly.

nilwill said:
P:V→V and P2=P

Let me see if I can define this better: so if V is the direct sum of U + W

we're not worried about "direct sum" just yet, just the sum (or "join").

let P(v)=u

let I am P be a complete subset of U; if u is an element of U P(u)=u, so I am P =U

let Ker P be a complete subset of W; if v is an element of V and v is an element of W, the v=0+w for some element w in W, so Ker P =W

none of this makes much sense. and it's unnecessary.

let v=P(v)+(v-P(v))

you don't need to "let" v = P(v) + (v-P(v)) it ALWAYS is, by the rules of vector addition.

Since P(v) is in the I am P, then (v-P(v)) is in the Ker P

you don't KNOW this yet, you're trying to prove it. proofs start with what you know. in this case, what you know is:

v = P(v) + (v-P(v)) (simple algebra, always true, since P(v) + -(P(v)) is the 0-vector) and:
P(v) is in Im(P) (by the definition of what Im(P) is Im(P)= {u in W: u = P(v) for some v in W}.) and:
P2 = P (so P(P(v)) = P(v), you'll use this later).

those are your "knowns".

So P(v-P(v))=P(v)-P2(v)=P(v)-P(u)=u-u=0
therefore, v-P(v) is in the Ker P

why bring "u" into this?

Is this correct so far? Sorry for not using latex. I have only used it in creating this post and was stretched for time.

I think I can do the rest if I have set this up correctly.

in my last post, i asked you a question:

what is P(w - P(w))? you don't need any "extra letters" to answer this, you just need one certain fact about P.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (called vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by numbers (called scalars). It must satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, to be considered a vector space.

2. What is the kernel of a linear transformation?

The kernel of a linear transformation is the set of all vectors in the domain that are mapped to the zero vector in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of all inputs that result in an output of zero.

3. What is the image of a linear transformation?

The image of a linear transformation is the set of all possible outputs that can be obtained by applying the transformation to every vector in the domain. In other words, it is the range of the transformation.

4. How do you prove that a vector space is the direct sum of the kernel and image of a linear transformation?

To prove that a vector space W is the direct sum of the kernel and image of a linear transformation L, we need to show that every vector in W can be uniquely expressed as the sum of a vector in the kernel and a vector in the image. This can be done by showing that the intersection of the kernel and image is only the zero vector.

5. Why is it important to understand the direct sum of a vector space?

Understanding the direct sum of a vector space allows us to break down a vector space into smaller, more manageable subspaces. This can be useful in solving problems and understanding the structure of a vector space. Additionally, the direct sum has many applications in various fields of mathematics, such as linear algebra and functional analysis.