Proof that Heat Capacity is independent of Pressure for a new Equation of State

In summary, the equation of state for a gas that obeys the equation of state P(v-b) = RT, where b is a constant, is equal to Cp, which is independent of pressure.
Thyferra2680
For a gas that obeys the equation of State P(v-b) = RT, where b is a constant, show that Cp is independent of Pressure, i.e., ([tex]\delta[/tex]Cp/[tex]\delta[/tex]p) at constant T is equal to zero

Homework Equations

Maxwell Relations
H = U+PV
dh = TdS + PdV
dh/dT at constant P is defined as Cp

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I can't simply say that since Cp is defined as existing at a constant pressure state, that it's independent of pressure; would have made the problem much simpler.

I figure that I'm supposed to prove that ([tex]\delta[/tex](dH/dT)/[tex]\delta[/tex]p) at constant T is equal to zero, but I'm having trouble figuring out which maxwell relation is the best fit.

d/dP (dH/dT) = d[((TdS)/dT + (VdP)/dT) at constant P]/dP at constant T

My problem is the dS portion of the equation. It's defined in terms of Cp, among other things, and that doesn't really help me in any way... I think.

I have a similar problem when I attempt it with dH = d(U+PV). dU is defined in terms of Cv, or if I break it apart with U = Q+W, I get U = TdS- PdV. Again, not too helpful.

Is it an issue of which relation I'm using to start? Or can the Cv and Cp actually help me?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good start. Now how about writing [itex]\partial/\partial P[(\partial S/\partial T)_P]_T[/itex] in a way that let's you use a Maxwell relation?

Last edited:
Oh... Is it possible to switch the order of differentiation here? I suppose this is derived from an exact differential? If that's so, then (dS/dP) at constant T is equal to (dv/dT) at constant P...

Yep! Should be no problem now. (Don't forget any sign changes!)

Right! thanks a bunch

Related to Proof that Heat Capacity is independent of Pressure for a new Equation of State

1. What is heat capacity and what does it represent?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to change the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It represents the ability of a substance to store heat energy.

2. Why is it important to show that heat capacity is independent of pressure?

It is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of a substance when subjected to changes in temperature and pressure. Knowing that heat capacity is independent of pressure allows us to use a single equation of state to describe the behavior of a substance under different conditions.

3. How is the new equation of state for heat capacity derived?

The new equation of state for heat capacity is derived using thermodynamic principles and experimental data. It takes into account the effects of temperature and pressure on the heat capacity of a substance and provides a more accurate representation of its behavior.

4. What are the implications of the new equation of state for heat capacity?

The new equation of state has significant implications for understanding and predicting the behavior of substances under different conditions. It allows for more accurate calculations and predictions in areas such as thermodynamics, chemical reactions, and material properties.

5. How does the new equation of state affect the study of heat transfer?

The new equation of state can be applied to the study of heat transfer to better understand how heat energy is transferred between substances under different conditions. It can also aid in the design and optimization of heat exchangers and other heat transfer systems.