Proof That Isometries Preserve Parallel Lines

In summary: I think it would be a good idea to mention that this proof relies on the fact that the distance between two points is the same as the distance between their images.
bistan
Hey guys, just wanted to get a quick check that this proof is sound.

Homework Statement

Let L, K be two parallel lines, and let F be an isometry. Prove that F(L) & F(K) are parallel.

Homework Equations

If P and Q are points on the plane and F is an isometry, the distance PQ = the distance F(PQ).

The Attempt at a Solution

Let P be a point on L and Q a point on K. By definition of parallel lines, L & K have no point in common. Because F is an isometry, the distance PQ = the distance F(PQ). Therefore F(L) & F(K) must also have no point in common. Thus F(L) & F(K) are parallel.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Maybe should mention use of the fact that the distance between two points is zero if and only if they are the same point.

haruspex said:
Looks fine to me. Maybe should mention use of the fact that the distance between two points is zero if and only if they are the same point.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything in what bistan did that would be anything like a proof.

Dick said:
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything in what bistan did that would be anything like a proof.
Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines :blushing:
It appears to lean on some standard facts like F(K), F(L) will be straight lines; parallel lines don't intersect; non-parallel lines do intersect. And I assume this is Euclidean (otherwise I'm not sure how parallel lines are defined).

Dick said:

It's not very formal I understand. I'm working through Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics and I'm using the facts that I've been given. Maybe I should've mentioned that.

I agree with Dick. Saying "Let P be a point on L and Q a point on K. By definition of parallel lines" means that P and Q are specific points on L and K. The fact that the distance between two specific points is the same as the distance between their images says nothing about the lines. You are trying to interpret that to say that the distance between any two points F(L) and F(K) is non-zero but that is not what you is means.

Better would be an indirect proof: if F(L) and F(K) are NOT parallel then there exist F(P) on F(L) and F(Q) on F(K) such that F(P)= F(Q)- that is they are the same point. That means the distance between them is 0. Now use the isometry to go back to L and K.

HallsofIvy said:
I agree with Dick. Saying "Let P be a point on L and Q a point on K. By definition of parallel lines" means that P and Q are specific points on L and K. The fact that the distance between two specific points is the same as the distance between their images says nothing about the lines. You are trying to interpret that to say that the distance between any two points F(L) and F(K) is non-zero but that is not what you is means.

Better would be an indirect proof: if F(L) and F(K) are NOT parallel then there exist F(P) on F(L) and F(Q) on F(K) such that F(P)= F(Q)- that is they are the same point. That means the distance between them is 0. Now use the isometry to go back to L and K.

Good thing I posted on here! That's more or less what I thought; that stating two arbitrary specific points would allow it to be made general for the whole line. Thanks for your help everyone.

So:

If F(L) and F(K) are not parallel then there exists point F(P) on line F(L) and point F(Q) on line F(K) such that F(P)= F(Q). Since F is an isometry and preserves distance, P = Q which is impossible since lines L and K are parallel. Thus F(L) and F(K) have no point in common and are parallel.

Last edited:
bistan said:
Good thing I posted on here! That's more or less what I thought; that stating two arbitrary specific points would allow it to be made general for the whole line. Thanks for your help everyone.

So:

If F(L) and F(K) are not parallel then there exists point F(P) on line F(L) and point F(Q) on line F(K) such that F(P)= F(Q). Since F is an isometry and preserves distance, P = Q which is impossible since lines L and K are parallel. Thus F(L) and F(K) have no point in common and are parallel.

That looks better.

Related to Proof That Isometries Preserve Parallel Lines

1. What is an isometry?

An isometry is a transformation that preserves distance and angles between points in a geometric figure. It can be a reflection, rotation, or translation.

2. How do isometries preserve parallel lines?

Isometries preserve parallel lines by maintaining the same distance between the lines and the same angle of intersection between them. This means that the lines will never intersect or diverge.

3. Why is it important to prove that isometries preserve parallel lines?

Proving that isometries preserve parallel lines is important because it is a fundamental property of these transformations. It allows us to use isometries in geometric constructions and to understand how they affect the shape and position of objects in space.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that isometries preserve parallel lines?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. Isometries, by definition, must preserve distance and angles, which includes parallel lines.

5. Can isometries be used to prove other geometric properties?

Yes, isometries can be used to prove many other geometric properties, such as the preservation of perpendicular lines, congruence of angles and sides, and symmetry. They also play a key role in the study of symmetry groups and the classification of geometric shapes and structures.