Checking a proof of a basic property of prime numbers

In summary, the author attempts to provide a proof that if p is prime and m, n are positive integers such that p divides mn, then either p divides n or p divides m. However, due to integer factorization issues, they are not able to determine which it is.
Ghost Repeater

Homework Statement

Prove: If p is prime and m, n are positive integers such that p divides mn, then either p divides n or p divides m.

Is anyone willing to look through this proof and give me comments on the following: a) my reasoning within the strategy I chose (validity, any constraints or cases I might have missed), b) the strategy I chose (was it a good one, is there a better one, some other angle I might have taken), and c) my presentation (messiness, inelegance)?

Homework Equations

[/B]n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my proof.

If p divides mn, then there must be some positive integer q such that mn = pq. Then (mn)/q = p is prime. The factors of p are m/q and n. Since p is prime, one of these factors must be equal to 1. Therefore either

a) n = 1

or

b) m/q = 1.

If a) holds, then mn = m = pq and we see that p divides m.

If b) holds, then m = q, and so mn = qn = pq, which means p = n and so p divides n (with quotient of 1).

Therefore, if p divides mn, then either p divides m or p divides n, as desired.

Physics news on Phys.org
or p divides both m and n.

rcgldr said:
or p divides both m and n.

That's not nessecary in the proof. If p divides both m and n, p divides obviously m or n.

Ghost Repeater said:

Homework Statement

Prove: If p is prime and m, n are positive integers such that p divides mn, then either p divides n or p divides m.

Is anyone willing to look through this proof and give me comments on the following: a) my reasoning within the strategy I chose (validity, any constraints or cases I might have missed), b) the strategy I chose (was it a good one, is there a better one, some other angle I might have taken), and c) my presentation (messiness, inelegance)?

Homework Equations

[/B]n/a

Here's my proof.

If p divides mn, then there must be some positive integer q such that mn = pq. Then (mn)/q = p is prime. The factors of p are m/q and n. Since p is prime, one of these factors must be equal to 1. Therefore either

a) n = 1

or

b) m/q = 1.

If b) holds, then m = q, and so mn = qn = pq, which means p = n and so p divides n (with quotient of 1).

You can't conclude that ##m/q## and ##n## are integer factors of ##mn/q##.

##q## might divide neither ##m## nor ##n##.

Ghost Repeater said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]n/a

Here's my proof.

a) n = 1

or

b) m/q = 1.

What results do you have available already? What properties are you allowed to use?

Ray Vickson said:
What results do you have available already? What properties are you allowed to use?

The text I'm using has so far defined the greatest common divisor and gives the theorem (with proof) that two nonzero integers a and b have a unique positive greatest common divisor.

I'll try to use these to make the proof. Thanks!

PeroK said:
You can't conclude that ##m/q## and ##n## are integer factors of ##mn/q##.

##q## might divide neither ##m## nor ##n##.

I see! Thanks for the heads up!

1. What is a proof of a basic property of prime numbers?

A proof of a basic property of prime numbers is a mathematical demonstration that shows a certain statement about prime numbers is true. These proofs are essential for understanding the behavior and characteristics of prime numbers.

2. How do you check a proof of a basic property of prime numbers?

To check a proof of a basic property of prime numbers, you need to follow a systematic approach and carefully analyze each step of the proof. This involves understanding the definitions, assumptions, and logical reasoning used in the proof.

3. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking a proof of a basic property of prime numbers?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking a proof of a basic property of prime numbers include incorrect use of definitions, assumptions, or logical reasoning, as well as errors in calculations or assumptions about the properties of prime numbers.

4. Can a proof of a basic property of prime numbers be verified by a computer?

Yes, a proof of a basic property of prime numbers can be verified by a computer using mathematical software or programming languages. However, it is still important for a human to carefully check the proof for any errors or mistakes.

5. Why is it important to check the proofs of basic properties of prime numbers?

Checking the proofs of basic properties of prime numbers is important to ensure the validity and accuracy of mathematical statements and theories. It also helps to identify any errors or gaps in the reasoning, which can lead to further advancements and discoveries in mathematics.