Proof that the exponential function is convex

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a convex function and whether a statement is sufficient to prove convexity. It also includes a mention of relevant equations and a link to a source for further information.
L Navarro H
Homework Statement
f(x)=e^(ax)
where a>0
Relevant Equations
A function f(x) is convex if the statement that is into the question marks proofs
I try to proof it but i got stuck right here, i want your opinions
Can I get a solution if i continue by this way? or Do I have to take another? and if it is so, what would yo do?

Attachments

• 127809042_211031057062186_8356437189153175961_n.jpg
    127809042_211031057062186_8356437189153175961_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 276
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it sufficient to say that ##f(x)## is convex on ##(-\infty, \infty)## if ##f''(x) > 0## for all ##x## in that interval? If ##f(x) = e^{ax}## then ##f''(x) = a^2 e^{ax} > 0, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}##.

L Navarro H said:
Relevant Equations:: A function f(x) is convex if the statement that is into the question marks proofs
What does the above mean?
It's hardly an equation, let alone relevant.

etotheipi said:
Isn't it sufficient to say that ##f(x)## is convex on ##(-\infty, \infty)## if ##f''(x) > 0## for all ##x## in that interval? If ##f(x) = e^{ax}## then ##f''(x) = a^2 e^{ax} > 0, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}##.
> gives strictly convex, we don't need that

pbuk said:
> gives strictly convex, we don't need that

Well I suppose that's true , but I did say 'if' and not 'iff'! So what I wrote is true st`atement 😜

1. What is the exponential function?

The exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax, where a is a constant and x is the variable. It is commonly denoted as exp(x) or e^x, where e is the base of the natural logarithm.

2. What does it mean for a function to be convex?

A function is considered convex if its graph is always above or on the line segment connecting any two points on the graph. In other words, the function is "curving upwards" and does not have any "dips" or "valleys".

3. Why is it important to prove that the exponential function is convex?

Proving that the exponential function is convex is important because it is a fundamental property of this function, and it has many applications in various fields such as finance, economics, and physics. Additionally, understanding the convexity of the exponential function can help us better understand and analyze other functions that involve exponential growth.

4. How is the convexity of the exponential function proven?

The convexity of the exponential function can be proven using the second derivative test. This involves taking the second derivative of the function and showing that it is always positive, which indicates that the function is convex.

5. What are some real-life examples of the exponential function being convex?

One example of the exponential function being convex in real life is in compound interest calculations. The amount of interest earned on an investment is directly proportional to the initial amount invested, and as the investment grows over time, the interest earned also increases at an exponential rate.