Proof Tips for Math Majors: Logic & Techniques for Real Analysis

In summary, as a math major, one learns logic and standard proof techniques, such as using the truth of statement P to prove statement Q. However, there are nuances of proofs that vary among different subjects, such as in real analysis where showing that two objects are equal can be done by proving that neither is less than or greater than the other. Some specific proof tips include proving the implication ## \neg Q\Rightarrow \neg P## to show ##P\Rightarrow Q## using the logical negation symbol \neg or \sim. There are also many tricky estimations in analysis that can be appreciated.
SrVishi
Every math major eventually learns logic and standard proof techniques. For example, to show that a rigorous statement [itex]P[/itex] implies statement [itex]Q[/itex], we suppose the statement [itex]P[/itex] is true and use that to show [itex]Q[/itex] is true. This, along with the other general proof techniques are very broad. A math major would soon come to realize that there are some nuances of proofs that vary among the different subjects. For example, in real analysis, a possible way to show that two real-valued objects are equal is to show that neither can be less than or greater than the other. What proof tips (could be as specific as you'd like) could you provide?

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be lots of different ways, and in special cases, may be more. Generally we all know we can prove ##~Q\Rightarrow ~P## to show ##P\Rightarrow Q.##
In analysis, there are many tricky(?) estimations...which I always can appreciate...

tommyxu3 said:
There may be lots of different ways, and in special cases, may be more. Generally we all know we can prove ##~Q\Rightarrow ~P## to show ##P\Rightarrow Q.##
At first I thought you had written something that wasn't true in general, but after seeing the LaTeX you wrote, I understand what you meant.
Here's the corrected version:
prove ## \neg Q\Rightarrow \neg P## to show ##P\Rightarrow Q.##

I used \neg for the logical negation symbol. You can also use \sim, which renders as a ~ character.
tommyxu3 said:
In analysis, there are many tricky(?) estimations...which I always can appreciate...

Yes, I didn't mind that until your remind haha. Thanks a lot!

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers and their properties. It involves using logical reasoning and techniques to analyze and prove theorems about real numbers and functions.

2. Why is real analysis important for math majors?

Real analysis is a fundamental subject in mathematics and is essential for understanding more advanced topics such as complex analysis, topology, and measure theory. It also helps develop critical thinking skills and the ability to construct logical arguments, which are valuable in many areas of mathematics and beyond.

3. What are some common proof techniques used in real analysis?

Some common proof techniques in real analysis include direct proofs, proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and proof by cases. Other important techniques include epsilon-delta proofs, which are used to show limits and continuity, and the method of exhaustion, used to prove properties of infinite series.

4. How can I improve my proof writing skills in real analysis?

One way to improve proof writing skills in real analysis is to practice regularly. Start with simple exercises and work your way up to more complex problems. It is also helpful to study and analyze well-written proofs by experts in the field. Additionally, seeking feedback and guidance from professors and peers can also aid in improving proof writing skills.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing proofs in real analysis?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when writing proofs in real analysis. These include using vague or ambiguous language, making assumptions without justification, and skipping steps in the proof. It is also important to be careful with quantifiers and to clearly define any new terms or notation used in the proof.