Why do Walter Rudin's proofs in real analysis often seem so elusive and clever?

In summary, the conversation discusses two books on real analysis, "Little Rudin" and "A First Course in Mathematical Analysis". The speaker finds Rudin's proofs to be elegant but not very clear, while Burkill's book is more intuitive. They ask for recommendations on which book to stick with and how to make sure their proofs are correct. The response suggests Shilov's text as a better introduction to real analysis and explains the challenges of understanding Rudin's proofs.
mix34
Dear all,
I currently a student in mechanical engineering and i reached the conclusion that maths from the point of view of mathematicians is lot more interesting than the eyes of engineers (for me at least).

One of my friends in the maths department suggested to me to read real analysis Walter Rudin as a starting point and combine it with Burkill a first course in mathematical analysis.

In general i am just in the beginning of reading these books (just chapter 1) and i find both quite easy to read and understand each ones proof. However whenever i study Rudin and i read his proof i am not sure why his proof follows these steps (why use the argument the way he does? I can see why his proof are so well structured but how did he know to make this structure? Even the way he is phrasing and the sequence of arguments are deliberate towards the proof). I always try to prove the same theorem as him before reading his proof but i end up with an alternative method (most of the times quite different, though i still use the same theorems but not the same exact arguments or at best my phrasing is not the same does this mean my proof is wrong?). In general i always aim not to deviate beyond what is assumed in the chapter so to me it seems that my proof also always makes sense.

My questions are: what am i missing from Rudin and how can i make sure that my proof is right without doubts just like Rudin's (i was thinking about using propositional logic within my own proof but this could be too much)??
Am i on the right path with Rudin that makes me ask these questions? Or should i stick to Burkill, which i does not really make me have doubts (he is way more intuitive).

Thank you for your time and effort

Physics news on Phys.org
"Little Rudin" is a classic, and is a good textbook for people who have a strong background in pure math, and are already familiar with the basics of real analysis. That said, I would absolutely not recommend it as an introduction. Rudin's proofs are very "nice", in the sense that they tend to be pretty and elegant, but they usually don't do a very good job of making the theorems clear. For intro real analysis, I'm a fan of Shilov's text

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486689220/?tag=pfamazon01-20

though I'm sure someone here can give a better recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @Number Nine . Rubin's proofs tend to be clever, elegant and sometimes appear like they have little motivation. I had a very hard time understanding the proof and motivation. I spent my hours in my professor's office trying to understand it, and often times he would just go through a more straight forward proof that was more tedious to write but made more sense to me.Also it's not unusual to have to spent a week or so rereading a single chapter in Rubin. Many moons ago, I recall spending an entire day on a single page. There's a lot of subtleness in mathematical books. Often time catching the key phrase or word in a passage in the right light clears up the entire haze.

What is "Walter Rudin Real analysis"?

"Walter Rudin Real analysis" is a textbook written by mathematician Walter Rudin, published in 1964. It covers topics in real analysis such as sequences, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

Who is Walter Rudin?

Walter Rudin (1921-2010) was an Austrian-American mathematician known for his contributions to analysis, including the books "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" and "Real and Complex Analysis". He was a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Is "Walter Rudin Real analysis" suitable for beginners?

No, "Walter Rudin Real analysis" is not suitable for beginners. It is a rigorous and advanced textbook intended for students who have a strong background in calculus and are familiar with mathematical proofs.

What sets "Walter Rudin Real analysis" apart from other textbooks on real analysis?

"Walter Rudin Real analysis" is known for its concise and elegant presentation of difficult concepts in real analysis. It also includes a large number of challenging exercises, making it a favorite among advanced mathematics students and professors.

Are there any prerequisites for studying "Walter Rudin Real analysis"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, including knowledge of limits, derivatives, and integrals. Familiarity with mathematical proofs and basic set theory is also helpful. Some familiarity with complex analysis may also be beneficial.